Author Topic: More Splake!  (Read 986 times)

Bob Jurmain

• 5 Star Member
  • Pakenham, Ontario
    • View Profile
More Splake!
« on: October 23, 2016, 05:39:39 PM »

Went back to my splake lake today and caught the fish I lost last time (perhaps).  This was caught on Phil's Double Bunny with modifications to make it more like a minnow.  Shore fishers said they could see the splake feeding on minnows close to the shore on shelfs.   Splake lakes are typically chosen like lakes that support Lake Trout which are deep and clear.  This lake drops off to 100 feet within a few meters of the shore.  So you crawl along keeping an eye on your depth screen getting your fly close to the bottom in my case today around 25ft.
Look at the shoulders!  They are thicker than a similarly sized Rainbow.  This one gave me a few runs.  I don't take a long time to get them in but he wasn't coming willingly. They spend their days chasing minnows so they get pretty strong.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: More Splake!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 06:02:04 PM »
Nice fish!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: More Splake!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 08:19:33 PM »
Beautiful fish and photos, Bob! Thanks for sharing!!
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...