Author Topic: Easter Sunday - Weaver  (Read 1056 times)

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Easter Sunday - Weaver
« on: April 17, 2017, 01:03:50 PM »
Headed up to the Weaver Lake area on Easter Sunday.  I hadn't been there for several years and was looking forward to hitting an area I've fished over the past 30 years.

Weather was gorgeous heading out at 10am - yes, no fishing trips start at dawn for me unfortunately when we go as a family!  A typical trip has a 9-10 am start time, 8 hours of driving, packing and working around camp, and if I am lucky, maybe 2 hours of fishing time (all outside of the best times to fish of course).  By far, I spend more time having to pack 'creature-comfort items', driving, and dealing with "Can we go home now" every 20 minutes than I do actually fishing - but hey, the limited amount of fishing time and numerous distractions with all the exhaustive non-fishing activities is highly representative of a typical competition, so it only functions as good training for me!  And I wouldn't trade it for another scenario.

We got up to the area around noon, and expected it to be busy on a nice Easter Sunday.  We weren't disappointed with that as there were ATVs everywhere (though every single one we met was being run the way you like to see it done - with courtesy and clear respect for the environment), people camped wherever they could, etc..  But we set up to have a fire, cook some hotdogs, and explore the shoreline (which included setting out a crayfish trap to see what we could find - though this proved fruitless, as either the water was still too cool, or this mountain system doesn't contain much in the way of crayfish).

By the time 2pm came up, we were on the water with two rods strung up.  I was going to row, and Sandy, Garett and Jason were going to manage the fly rods.  There was a stiff breeze blowing, making the sunny day rather cool still, but the nice thing about lakes with a wooded shoreline is that you can easily find shelter if you want to.  Which is what we did.

Fishing was slow initially.  Nothing was moving near the top.  The other two boats in the area were on the water before us, and neither had any success so far.  As we rowed around the shoreline, exploring the LWDs, the conversation in the boat went something like this:

At the 20 minute mark:
Garett:      Can we go home now?
Me:        We just got out here. No.  Aren't you having fun?
Garett:        No.
Me:        Don't worry, as soon as we find some fish, it will get better.
Garett:        No it won't. 
Me:         Well, we aren't leaving till we catch 8 trout.
Garett:        (groans)

At the 1 hour mark, both the other boats near us left the water, and we hadn't seen a fish move yet.  It was really inactive and I was thinking about fishing a little deeper, maybe with a Di5 line.  But the conversation continued (keep in mind there were 2 more "Can we go home now?" conversations prior to this):

Jason:        This is no fun.  There aren't any fish here.  Can we go now?
Me:        Don't worry, this is a good lake.  We just have to find where they are sitting on the lake and at what depth.  Sometimes it takes awhile on a new lake to find things, and we haven't fished here for awhile.  We always end up doing well here and I am sure we will (though thinking internally - "this sucks"... lol).  We still need to catch 8 trout.
Both boys:        What?!  Why?  That's impossible!
Me:        Well, we're still going to try.  We're not leaving till we catch them (though again, thinking inside "yeah right... as if I can really enforce that!"  Lol).

After exploring the shoreline, which is usually so reliable due to all the caddis on the LWDs, we started to move out to open water to cross over the lake a bit to try fresh water.  As my wife Sandy was paying more attention than the lads were to their fishing, I suggested to her to start stripping in the line a bit, then to feed it back out...

Me:        Sometimes the fish just need to see a  break from the routine.  They may be following your fly all day, completely.... (suddenly cut off)
Sandy:        (part way through stripping) Got one!
Me:        Oh nice!  (resuming my conversation)... ignoring it as it doesn't do anything different - then as soon as you reel in for the day, or strip in to look at your fly, you hit a fish instantly.  It's usually not a coincidence.  Good timing fish to illustrate that point!  (Note: Every now and then something happens to make me look smart)

Not a big fish, but still a nice 28-30cm darkly coloured (not spawning) rainbow so typical of these lakes.  We let it go and it swam quietly away.  In the clear water, the kids always have fun watching the fish swim away, usually first darting for the shelter of the boat, then slowly swimming off a little deeper after a brief time.  Actually, what am I saying the "kids" have fun watching the fish swim off?  I'm just as much into it! 

Now we started to have some success, and primarily due to location.  We noticed the odd size 14-16 dark green chironomid coming off.  There weren't many, but they were consistently hatching over the deep water (40-50' depth) as opposed to the shallows - and that's where we started getting consistent success with fish clearly travelling in schools, maybe in the top 5-10', as we'd often get two hookups within seconds of each other.  The action was pretty steady, and I consequently didn't get a chance to really fish (I only get to fish when it sucks - which is ok as I prefer hard conditions!).  My work was limited to rowing the boat.  My only involvement was when I grabbed one of the rods to give a quick reminder of how to set the 'properly' hook... where I immediately snapped the tip section of one of my rods in half while doing a false hookset.  Lol.  Great demo Chris... great.

Most of the fish were in the 28-30cm range (11-12 inches) but there were some nice rainbows in the 40-45 cm range (16-17 inches) that pulled hard.  Nice Blackwater strain fish that really remind one of fishing in the interior.   No complaints about catching fish of that size.  I'm happy catching those fish even when I drive 3+ hours from home to the interior (which I didn't have to do today).

After we hit the target of 8 fish, I agreed to head home!  We packed up camp, roasted some s'mores, and heading back down the trails towards home.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 01:36:57 PM by Chris Puchniak »
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Easter Sunday - Weaver
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 01:19:37 PM »
lol.... Been there and done that, Chris! :)

Oh the joys of taking small children fishing. I actually miss those days and learning how to creatively stretch out the the time that they can tolerate sitting still in a boat.

Thanks for posting your report!

Todd
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Istvan Kereszturi

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Vancityflyguy
    • View Profile
Re: Easter Sunday - Weaver
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 11:03:50 PM »
I thought boys would be different. I have 2 daughters ( 10 year old twins) and they are not interested in fishing at all. I always though only if I had a boy.... I guess I was wrong lol:)
Any river, any time...