Author Topic: Jig hooks and naturals with wings  (Read 2139 times)

Stanton Jack

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Jig hooks and naturals with wings
« on: April 24, 2017, 09:10:53 PM »
As of late I've been working on my naturals- hares ear, pheasant tails, etc.. thinking warmer weather and water conditions are on the way. Anyway I have been using the comp style jig hooks and tieing the flies same as I would normally do them, split the wings and pull them back. After tieing a few, I realized they're going to swim upside down with wing casing and wings on the bottom of the fly. I'm not sure if a trouts going to fuss as they're on size 14's and the difference between top and bottom is maybe a millimetre at best, but when you guys tie wings on these hooks, do you rotate the vise so the hook is up when you apply the wings etc?

I attached a fly so you could see what I mean by hook eye and wings on the top.
"Someday the mountain might get me, but the law never will" - Waylon Jennings

Mike Learmonth

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jig hooks and naturals with wings
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 06:21:04 AM »
Hi Stanton,

I would suggest considering getting rid of the legs all together for that pattern. In BC, we are only able to use one fly and therefore I think it makes the most sense to tie your patterns in a way that enhances the sink rate of that fly. A wingless fly will get down better and grab less currents along the way.

Take a look at Lance Egan's frenchie pattern online as a reference.

Cheers,

Mike

Team Kingfisher member

John Wilkinson

• 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 07:03:52 AM »
Nice tie Stanton! Like Mike says I would omit the wings for a faster sink rate in deeper water. BUT..... I would keep those ones you have wings on and use those in shallow water runs and slack water seams. ;)

Johnnybugs
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 10:52:55 AM »
Don't worry about the fly riding upside down all the time.  If you've ever watched a nymph in a river trying to do downstream drifting (or even the stronger swimming nymphs), staying straight and level is not in their vocabulary.  They bounce around in the current, flip over, etc...  So I suspect that fish are very used to seeing nymphs upside down and won't hesitate to feed on one no matter its horizontal orientation.

The fish can be sensitive to whether the nymph is rising or descending, the size, the shape, the colour, the depth in the water column, etc... but don't seem particular to whether it is right side up or not, and I think this is because they are used to seeing them rolling and spinning in any current.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 11:19:55 AM »
Very nice tying job, Stanton!

In fast moving water (where nymphing is most effective), trout tend to be opportunists, so for the most part, your fly will work just as well with or without legs.

I'd be more concerned about matching the colour of the naturals and designing it with a profile that allows the fly to sink fast and stay "in the zone", than I'd be about the addition of legs and other appendages.

Accuracy is far more important in slower moving waters, where the trout have the luxury to closely inspect and scrutinize your offering. But even then, they still have the instinctive "need to feed" if they want to survive and thrive...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 11:25:39 AM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Stanton Jack

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 08:55:32 AM »
Thanks guys for the feedback and comments. You know, I didn't really take into account how the wings would impact the sink rate of the fly, or how the currents could effect the drift. To be honest, I just lead wrapped them and put a 4.0 bead Tungsten bead on them and thought...  Oh yeah, you'll sink :)

Sitting at the table looking at half a dozen of them proudly, then realizing they'll swim upside down, I was like.. Oh no, what I have done! Lol... It's a relief to hear you guys think they'll still work too.

So looking forward, keep the pheasant tails, lose the wings and add a natural or attractor collar. That will look a lot like the "Frenchie", Mike referred to... I'm ok with that. That makes for a much easier/quicker tie, and if it keeps me in the zone longer... Sounds good!

Thanks again!

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 10:51:22 AM »
For what it's worth, I use peacock herl, CDC, or dubbing for the thorax for most of my nymphs, and brush it out if I wish to give the impression of legs. Adding hot spots definitely makes a difference at times...

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 10:54:03 AM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Stanton Jack

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 06:14:42 AM »
That looks really trouty! Thanks for putting one up Todd. 14 day forecast doesn't look too bad... The bugs be happening :)

Mike Learmonth

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 07:56:57 AM »
I like CDC collars for movement too for some patterns.

I always appreciated this post from Rob way back when. It's a hackled pattern but what's valuable is the information he provides on why he used it and what the conditions were as well as how he fished it.

This encouraged me to start doing the same thing and has been very helpful.

http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum/index.php?topic=266.0

Team Kingfisher member

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 08:25:51 AM »
Great post, Mike! I've bumped it so others that aren't following this thread can see it as well.

Cheers,
Todd

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 04:11:38 PM »
GRHE and PTN's are a favorite wether on nymph/wetfly hooks or jigs. They all have there place.

Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd. GAIA Certified Instructor
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia