Author Topic: Ice-Out Troutin' in the MB Parklands - Apr 12-17  (Read 1387 times)

Nick Laferriere

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Art by Nick Laferriere
Ice-Out Troutin' in the MB Parklands - Apr 12-17
« on: April 18, 2012, 07:46:13 AM »
Well, this was my trip I'd been waiting all winter for!

6 days, 4 lakes, 1,200kms, 2 personal bests, 36F water, ice, snow...but it was all worth it and hell ya I'd do it all over again!

I'm in the process of writing out a full report of my trip so once I get that done I'll post for each lake and I'll separate it by day.

In the meantime, here's some highlights.
Day 1 - 4 rainbows, 3 ldrs, all 24-26" from Patterson
Day 2 - 10 tigers, 5 ldrs, ranging from 16-26" from Twin (26" pb tiger)
Day 3 - 7 tigers, 2 ldrs, ranging from 16-23" from Twin
Day 4 - 6 browns ranging from 18-21" from Perch
Day 5 - 4 browns and 2 rainbows ranging from 16-26" from Tokaryk (26" ties my pb brown)
Day 6 - 6 browns and 3 rainbows ranging from 17-25" from Patterson and Tokaryk

Was a heck of a trip and mother nature kicked my arse! Was -15C the one night in the Ducks. =S

I was float tubing so I was limited for the length of time I could stay on the water and of course, the lakes I could fish. The water was a balmy 36F on average which is pretty darn cold! Luckily its warm enough to melt the ice from the guides! lol

Ok ok, enough jibber jabber, here's a few pics to wet the taste buds. I'll have a full report in the next few days.

A few browns from the trip.

A few tigers from the trip.

I figure we've all seen enough pictures of rainbows so I won't post any. They're big, they're slimy, they stink, they're silvery with pink, what more do you want. Go out and catch em please, they're in the way of me catching my browns! lol.

Sorry for those that know me, I'm not a rainbow trout fisherman. One is plenty good enough for me and then I'm off looking for browns. lol. This is probably the reason why I don't have the patience for chironomid fishing and for the fact that I don't catch browns with chronies. lol.

Nick

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: Ice-Out Troutin' in the MB Parklands - Apr 12-17
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 03:18:21 PM »
Beautful pictrues and thanks for sharing!  Ice must just have come off and you're still pre-turnover by the sounds of it! 

I went out fishing today and the largest I found was 7 inches... :).  But I had fun!  Maybe not as much as you though!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 03:50:36 PM »
Wonderful report and absolutely beautiful photos Nick! It's great to hear that the trout and lakes are fishing so well! 

I absolutely loved fishing those lakes and hope to return again one day to catch a few more of those enormous, hard-fighting rainbows, browns and tigers. For me, it was the variety and uncertainty of not knowing what was tugging on the other end of my fly line that made it such an interesting and enjoyable fishery.. :)

Just curious what the heck a "ldrs" is?!? :o
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Nick Laferriere

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Art by Nick Laferriere
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 04:48:26 PM »
Thanks Chris and Todd!

"LDR" Long-Distance Release - refers to when you hook up a fish and lose it during the fight. lol. I just recently found out what that meant myself.

The lakes are definitely pre-turnover. Should be another week before they flip. Supposed to warm up here over the next week so it shouldn't be too long.

This trip was one of those rare times when everything just worked out perfect! Perfect timing on all the lakes I visited and it seemed like I had good luck on all the lakes.

Nick Laferriere

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Art by Nick Laferriere
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 12:39:56 PM »
Ok, instead of copying and pasting this enormous fishing report, here's the link instead. Figure it's probably easier that way. Reluctantly, I posted some pics of rainbows in there as well for those who enjoy pictures of them. lol.  :P I'm not racist when it comes to humans, don't worry. Just trout. lol

http://weedbed.blog.com/2012/04/ice-out-troutin/

Nick

Jordan Bannerman

• 4 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 09:00:33 AM »
Great report!

I just received a job offer from the University of Manitoba yesterday, and will be moving to Winnipeg in about 2 months.  Can't wait to explore some new water in the parklands and other regions of Manitoba (BC native)

Jordan

Nick Laferriere

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Art by Nick Laferriere
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 02:26:56 PM »
Pre-welcome Jordan!

You're in for a treat and you're going to get spoiled on big fish. Just a warning. Lol.

You'll have to come check out the Manitoba Fly Fishing Association. Lots of knowledge in the club and it helps kill off the winter! Lol. Theres a few of us young bucks in the club to help shake things up too!
www.mffa.org

Nick
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 02:28:38 PM by Nick Laferriere »

Joel Wiebe

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 06:48:09 AM »
Look forward to meeting you Jordan. I'm finishing up my last year of engineering at the UofM. Whenever you wanna go fishing gimme or Nick a hoot. We'll be glad to show you around.

Nick Laferriere

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Art by Nick Laferriere
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
It's definitely a good idea to go with someone who knows the lakes if its your first time hitting MB waters. It's a little different than the typical BC waters and it's always nice to have someone there to give ya some pointers! Plus having some company on the water is awesome.  ;)

Another young fella is Shane O'Hara and he'll be back from the UK in July sometime. So he's another hardcore, young fly fisher who'd be more than welcome to take ya out.

Nick