Author Topic: Elastic coiled strike indicator  (Read 4457 times)

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Elastic coiled strike indicator
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 12:32:14 PM »
Thanks for the link, Alex.

I've come to the conclusion that for visual detection of a strike while fishing close to oneself, nothing beats using a thin bright running line with nothing more than 6-8 ft. of tippet.  The fly line thus serves as your leader/sighter.

However, if one wants to fish, visually again, at some distance, and especially across stream, this arrangement only works if the fly line is in the water because too much sag would ensue if one tried to keep it in the air.

The alternative is a longer leader and a sighter.  I prefer straight sighters for sensitivity (you can see a lot in the subtle movements they make), however, nothing beats a coiled sighter for visibility.   

I'd love to hear others' thoughts on this matter.

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 03:12:34 AM »
Hi Alex....thank you for feed back. You're correct.  I do tinker with coiled or straight sighters,  although my favorite remains straight 0X to 2X sighter. 

when I am sight fishing,  if I remove the orange - yellow sighter which can be  invasive,  and  instead tie a couple of nods above the tippet.

Cheers

Alex
Walt Whitman

David Bisnett

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 05:20:56 PM »
I find the coiled sighter to be extremely effective and can fish upnclose with it similar to the straight sighter forking the little D in your line and the coil as you track your flies with the current. In what situation and / or scenario is the straight sighter truly superior ?

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 08:34:38 PM »
Good question, David.  Rather than answer it myself, I'd like to know how that comp anglers feel about the relative merits of coil and straight indicators. 

I understand the value of the slinkies in the kind of translucent streams the French initially designed them for.  But for say a typical medium to large New World river, and assuming that one intends to use the slinky and the straight sighters as just that, ways to use one's sight (rather than feel) to notice a strike, what do current comp anglers think?

Alex

David Bisnett

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 08:25:04 AM »
Im still struggling with the straight sighter cuz I was more accustomed to the coil I think  ;D

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 09:31:57 AM »
Alex...this is pro for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUG2wbxAop8

I hope it will be of some help!

Cheers!  Alex
Walt Whitman

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 09:39:55 AM »

Alex...this is pro for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUG2wbxAop8
Good eye sights are a MUST!

Cheers!  Alex
[/quote]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 10:47:46 AM by Alex Berger »
Walt Whitman

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 01:39:24 PM »
Alex,

I love the video.  I think that it opens up many possibilities.  I'll try the knot technique soon.  I might also paint the knots with black finger nail polish to make them easier to detect.  I'll post a report.

Best,
Alex

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 03:51:04 PM »
Definitely knots and paint help.  One of the keys though is putting yourself in a good position to actually see your leader/sighter, if you can.  Often if I kneel down to fish or something, its not so that I don't spook the fish (though it helps as opposed to jumping around like an idiot), it's more that I am trying to line up my sighter against a background where I can actually see it.  Some vegetation or rocky background offers great contrast and makes viewing simple, but others make it much harder.  Some skylines can be very tough too.

Many of our regional rivers are in deep and heavily forested valleys that offer great backgrounds to contrast a leader, whether coloured or clear, but then we also have some wide-open river valleys and lots of cloudy, raining days where 95% of the background is light grey (light grey rocks, light grey sky, etc...) - and seeing any sighter with that background is really challenging.  I mostly go by feel or instinct then.  But I always try to line up so I have a few trees off in the distance, or some dark water, I can see the sighter against.

I see the merits in the coiled sighter for fishing at distance.  I used to like it close up too, but slowly moved towards the straight sighter (much as Alex A. says).  I find I have to limit it though to smoother and slower water, which we don't have as much of here.  Most of our rivers are fairly swift, and getting the coil to stay up can sometimes be a challenge.  But I see the coil being good in those applications.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 05:35:36 AM »
Chris, Alex    fully agreed-  I have a problem with seeing knots in most days.   For better visibility I am use  Sunline Shooter FC SNIPER BMS. It comes from 6lbs to 16lbs.    Instead of the alternating pink and orange sections, BMS  line has yellow/green and grey (which looks pretty black) in a solid block before a clear section of line.  The high contrast of the grey block gives superb bite detection when watching the line. It can be used both as sighter as well as leader as leader. I don't know if you can get this in North Amreica, I order it online from UK.

: https://esoterictackle.co.uk/home/151-sunline-shooter-fc-sniper-bms-azayaka.html
 Cheers

Alex
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 02:21:41 AM by Alex Berger »
Walt Whitman

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 05:46:06 AM »
Thanks for the idea, Alex.  I may have to give it a go.   It appears that it is available in the U.S. (I don't know about Canada) here:  http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Sunline_JDM_FC_Sniper_BMS_Azayaka_Fluorocarbon_Line/descpage-SNI.html.

Alex

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 11:17:47 AM »
Hi Alex, I use BMS 12lb line and attached to a 4X tippet.  Let me know how it works out,

thanks

Alex
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 11:20:43 AM by Alex Berger »
Walt Whitman

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 02:43:42 PM »
Alex,

How visible is the BMS line?  Is it as visible as, say, Red or Chartreuse Amnesia?

Alex

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 08:35:48 AM »
Hi Alex, I have only used Amnisia Chartreuse and BMS is more visible and discreet. Alex
Walt Whitman