Author Topic: casting styles  (Read 226 times)

gillie greenberg

• 2 Star Member
    • View Profile
casting styles
« on: June 26, 2018, 11:46:26 AM »
Hi guys, I was wondering you anyone would be willing to talk about how different leader materials work better with different casting styles. I have been using a leader consisting of 15lb chameleon to a 3x rio biocolour sighter to 6x tippet. Originally I learned most of my techniques from watching the modern nymphing video. Now that I have started fishing with different anglers i have be experimenting with different leader materials and casting styles.

I find that with the chameleon I am able to cast best with a rather lobbing (easier to tuck cast) cast that enters the water at a sharper angle. I find this rig and style ideal for when I'm on a larger river and dont have to worry about sneaking my cast under branches and trees.

The other day i experimented with a leader tied from 10lb raven mono. This material was very supple. I found it was very difficult to "lob" however with a sharp flicking motion i could backcast then snap my wrist sharply for the forward cast. I found this technique very accurate and good for keeping the fly low to the water. I would like to experiment more with this type of leader as i may be better for smaller, or woodier streams.

I feel my syndicate rod is deal for the lob cast where maybe a faster or more of a tip action rod would be better for the flick/snap cast.

Does anyone have any similar experiences or can anyone point me in the direction to research different casting styles?

thanks, Gil

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: casting styles
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 02:55:09 PM »
That's some interesting thoughts.

I usually make my leader choices more based on the wind and how heavy of a fly I have to work with (although that's not really your question... lol).  For nymphing, I tend to prefer an all mono leader of roughly continuous .16-.28mm, with the diameter depending on the scenario.  If I get into a very light single fly situation, or a dry fly, then I go to a tapered leader.  Depending on the wind and the underbrush I have the tendency to wrist flick or lob with both leaders (wind often dictates to me which casting style I can use - though underbrush does the same as well).  So I end up using both of those casting styles with both types of leaders.

No doubt the Chameleon would help with turnover and lobbing, as its stiffer material would help with energy transfer.  It's great with dries and light flies.  I use Stren a lot too when I want a tapered leader but less stiffness.

Going suppler and thinner (like your Raven 10# mono) would help with shooting a leader (not lobbing - more the wrist flick) as you don't need any turnover and want the minimal amount of resistance/friction and weight as possible as the leader goes through the guides.  I don't want anything to slow down the lead bomb at the end of the tippet... lol.

I find with nymphing in particular I cast with whatever style I can manage.  Lob (oval), flick (with a little double haul), bow and arrow, and even just throwing the darn fly out there with my fingers.  Whatever it takes to get the fly in the water and present it well to a fish.   So I like to make sure I can be adaptable.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.