Author Topic: 2018 World Fly Fishing Championship, Sept 17-23, 2018, Terme di Comano, Italy  (Read 1249 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship

This thread is dedicated to discussions, news, updates and results for the 2018 World Fly Fishing Championship, which is being held in Terme di Comano, Italy from September 17 to 23, 2018.

The 38th FIPS-Mouche World Fly Fishing Championship will be held along two rivers: Sarca river and Noce River. The first one comes from the glaciers of the Adamello and flows into Garda Lake, from where it exits with the name of Mincio. 77 km separate the spring from the lake. The second one comes from Corno dei Tre Signori Moutain, at 3360 meters, inside Stelvio National Park.

The championship will have 1 river session on the Noce River; 3 river sessions on the Sarca River; and 1 bank fishing session on Lago di Cornisello.

Here is the official website for the 2018 World Fly Fishing Championship: https://www.wffc2018.com/lang/EN/homepage
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 10:49:05 AM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Ionut Cotinghi.

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. ionut_ottawa
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 World Fly Fishing Championship, Sept 17-23, 2018 Italy
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 06:02:08 AM »
Great idea to have a topic for this, Todd. I'll try to keep you all up-to-date here with how things are going. Until September it's all about preparing. This Sunday 3 of us are training together in upstate New York.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 03:08:55 PM by Todd Oishi »

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Here is a link to the results of Session One: https://www.wffc2018.com/en/fly-fishing-world-championship/results-1

« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 10:48:13 AM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Team and Individual Results after Session 2 of the 2018 World Fly Fishing Championships in Italy...

« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 02:53:37 PM by Todd Oishi »

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Team and Individual Results after Session 4 of the 2018 World Fly Fishing Championships in Italy...

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Team and Individual Results after Session 5 of the 2018 World Fly Fishing Championships in Italy...

Here's a link to the Results Page for the 2018 World Fly Fishing Championship:
https://www.wffc2018.com/en/fly-fishing-world-championship/results-1
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 05:47:49 AM by Todd Oishi »

Utah_Jay

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Its long over, but they are not posting final results online. 

The Team USA made a huge push this morning to jump up to I think 7th. 
In the learning mode :)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Congratulations to team and individual medalists! Very impressive comeback for Team USA, moving from 7th to 4th in the final session!

Well done!!

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Some impressive angling there,  Top props to the USA for coming back so well after a hard first day.

Well done Spain.

Can't wait to hear the stories when the guys return.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Yes, congratulations USA for the heroic comeback, and to Spain for the victory.

I also can't wait to hear from the competitors.  I'm especially interested in knowing if there were any new techniques/styles being used by the top ranking teams.

Alex

Claude Cipelletti

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. troutseeker
    • View Profile
Hello, I've been back in Canada for a week now and had some time to reflect on my first World Championships. Team Canada prepared as well as it could without pre-fishing the venues. This is of course a disadvantage when European teams have the opportunity to practice on the waters regularly and come to the comp prepared with flies, tactics, and already have an idea of where the fish will hold.

We had help from two amazing local fellows and hired a very good guide as well. This gave us some local knowledge and local flies to start with. Practice went well, we managed to get our flies in order and catch fish in waters similar to what comp water should be. We also checked out competition beats to get an idea of what to expect.

The opening ceremonies where impressive and the opening banquet a very well catered affair.

Then the comp was upon us, we were as ready as we could expect to be with only a few days on water in the area. I know everyone of us fished hard and had good flies. We scoured the river waters diligently for Fario and Marble trout. As is typical of competition, the beat draws did influence the results.

My first two beats were rather long, took time to cover properly, and yielded few fish. I was fortunate to land one Fario on Cornisello lake and had another but it was foul hooked. There were several blanks on the lake and it got tougher as the comp progressed with fish out of casting range and many more blanked sessions.
On the last day of my morning session I drew a nice enough beat and made a tactical error, on previous days once the sun started hitting the water trout were looking up and many were caught on dry droppers and dry flies. Unfortunately, once the sun hit the better area of my beat, the trout migrated to up and down river beats in fast pocket water. I managed one Fario early on behind a boulder, had a large marble bury itself in tall weeds before spitting out the hook,  and two others use my legs as a current break before taking off at warp speed up river. On my last session I got a beat which had given a maximum of four trout to other anglers. I spent 20 minutes trying to entice a couple of nice marble trout to the streamer only to have one follow and leave and the other just staying put but having none of this. Everyone before me caught trout in skinny water with size 18 and 20 nymphs. I decided to hunt the edges were there were some deeper depressions and many overhanging branches. I went to a single heavy fly, bow and arrow casts, sneaking my nymph under rock ledges and undercut banks, and started catching fish. I caught 7 Fario's, with 5 only of scoreable size. The beat above me produced only one fish while the beats below seemed to hold many more fish in pocket water.

All in all this was an amazing experience. Our team got along well and we had a great time. My results were disappointing, but I know I gave it my all, adapted when I had to and fished all my beats hard and smart. One can't really ask for more than that.

I want to thank my Team Canada partners, Ionut Cotinghi, Calin Lumperdean, Jeremiah Hamilton, and Josh Gelinas for some very fun times on and off the water. Your dedication to fly fishing and the professionalism you showed and maintained throughout the competition was exemplary.  It was an honor to fish with you guys and I look forward to the opportunity to do so again in the future.

Best regards, Claude 

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Thanks for sharing Claude!

Here's a video following the Finns and the Aussies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4RFp86hK8o&feature=youtu.be

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Great report, Claude! Thanks for sharing your experiences with us! :)

Ionut Cotinghi.

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. ionut_ottawa
    • View Profile
Hi guys, here is my short story about this year Worlds.

We had almost everything arranged even before leaving for Italy, first day we hired a local guide who took us to see comp water on river Noce. This one is a very nice river with lots of slow moving water, full of weeds. Fishing was challenging with the main being the weeds. We practice the entire day on a sector above the comp water and all got fish. Some of us got theirs first "marmorata" (marble trout) on this day. Not me.
Second practice day we went on upper Sarca (Pinzolo) again with Adil, our guide. I have to say that his knowledge about local waters is impressive. Thanks Adil! Here, the water comes from a glaciar and has a milkysh color. We all caught fish but the main focus was what flies work better and where fish lies instead of landing big numbers. Again, no "marmorata" for me.
Next couple of days we fished Sarca, lower and middle, trying different techniques, changing flies, looking at each other to improve our game.
On the official registration day we went to checkout Cornisello lake. Everybody were afraid of this one. It's a alpine lake stoked mostly with browns. We circled the entire lake looking at beats. It was very clear that some beats had lots of fish and other were fishless, or the fish were deep and afar. The schedule for the lake was to fish only 2 beats with a rotation of 5 beats apart. Team Spain had a initiative to talk the organizers into changing to fish 3 beats with a bigger distance between them in order to level a bit the luck of the draw but without success.
On the official practice day we decided to fish only one venue focusing on fine tuning. Josh and Calin went to the lake (not the comp lake), Jeremiah to lower Sarca and Claude and myself on middle Sarca, very close to the hotel.

Session one Lake Cornisello.
Waking before 5, fast breakfast then go to the buses. Luckily, I had to fish the lake first. Beat 24, a beat with lots of back casting space and very shallow water close to the bank. I've spent about 20 min looking for fish and seeing only one which went away fast. Beats around me had much more fish...I had prepared 3 rods, one for dry dropper, one slow glass with 3 different squirmies and one with DI5 with some boobies and a small black leech. My plan was to start with squirmies, then go deeper, then dry dropper. Right after the horn, on my left Simon form England, first cast fish on. Second or third cast fish on again. In the mean time I had nibbles at almost every cast but couldn't hook a fish. On my right, one or two fish were caught fast. I trimmed the tails of my squirmies and tried again but no luck in hooking fish. Simon was at his 4th fish. I changed the entire rig with one prepped already with a black mini booby on point, a black pennel on mid dropper and a small purple wet on top dropper. Few cast later, fish on. Horsing the fish to the net I saw that I had a double, landed both. After a slow start I was catching up. I noticed that everywhere fishing started to slow down. I did the same with my retrive and I got another one on booby. Then I took the DI5 and got one more fish, again at the booby. We changed the beats mid time into the session and I move to a different type. Here I had steep bank on my back, big boulders on the shore and very deep water. I've tried DI5 with same flies but no luck. Moved to dry dropper with the point fly at 12 feet deep, fishing almost under my rod tip, fish on. Lost it doing a rookie mistake. I didn't want to tangle my dry on my top guide so I left quite long leader out and balancing on the boulders lost the fish at the net. I almost heard Ivo saying "bad angling!" and he would be right. This beat had a buffer zone on the left and every now and then I saw few small fish cruising the shore. So I decided to target these fish. Last 20 min of the session I saw a small one coming, casted 6 ft in front of him and the strike was so fast that took my by surprise and set the hook too early. After 10 min, fish came again but this time I was ready so I've landed this one. 5 fish in the session put me on 9th place. Not too bad start and ahead of Simon who had only 4.

Session 2. Upper Sarca - Pinzolo.
I had beat 29. I didn't asked the controller how was fishing in the morning but she told me anyway that 8 fish were caught. The beat looked so and so. A big long pool at the bottom, then a channel with fast water in the middle and some pocket water above. I started low and slow with team flies and not too long until the first fish. Took me 45 min to 1 hour to fish systematic the pool and catching 7 fish, then I move to the channel with no luck then move to the pockets where I caught 2 more. Run back down to the pool and start again. Few more fish got to the net. With about one hour left, run to the pockets caught one more, then back to my pool for the last 20 min. 3 more fish and it was done. With a total of 13 fish I was thinking that I'll be top 10. Only next day, in the bus, a friend from team Romania congratulate and told me that I won the session. I won the session!! Incredible!. And I caught my first "marmorata" finaly!

Session 3 river Noce.
I draw beat 7 but didn't matter too much since I didn't know which beats produced more fish and which are bad. I'm trying to filter out these type of info and focus on the beat I have. I can say that i had a classic Noce beat. With a fast pool on the upper part, then wide and shallow part with plenty of weeds and a wide channel on the bottom. I started from to bottom up, doing what we did on the practice but no fish. I got my first one about 2 thirds into the session from a undercut bank on the other side. After that I fished only on the other side since the close one I've fished it 2 times, with different flies and techniques. In the weeds I was using one nymph only because of the very narrow channels, sometimes about 12-15 inches wide. At the bottom of the upper pool I've hooked a nice fish but lost it. It took the top fly and the point fly snagged the weeds. I tried to wade and scoop the fish with the net but the current was strong and I lost the fish. At that point I was almost panicking having less than one hour and only one fish on the score sheet. But 2 cast later landed another brown and then another one. The fishing started to be good. Only after this session I realized that I caught fish only in the sunny parts of the river and only after the sun came out from the hill. I've finished with 7 fish in the scorecard enough for 14th place.

Session 4 Lower Sarca.
I know that this sector will kick lots of butts in the comp from the beginning. Everybody told me that a couple fish will be a good result. My beat looked much better then the most with some fish holding spots. Long story short I saved the blank in the last minute of the session with a 35cm rainbow. And a 3lb chub. I've tried streamers in the beginning in a shallow, wider part of the river , then light nymphing close to the bank, then heavier flies in the fast current. Then dry dropper on the other side along the undercut bank. Now I know I didn't tried few flies that proved to be working in difficult times or that I wasn't fishing deep enough. Lesson learned. This bad result dropped me to the 44th overall place.

Session 5 Middle Sarca.
For the last session I had a beat with everything, deep pool, fast current with big boulders, pocket water, deep pools below a waterfall. I had enough time to check the beat, get ready and have a chat with the controller who was speaking English very well. Sitting there i saw few risers and that convinced me to start with dry dropper. First cast to a riser, missed the fish. Few more casts and starting to catch fish but small ones. They were biting so fast! Even I saw a nice fish rising, the smaller ones were faster. After 20-25 min without a scorable fish I've change to nymphing an started to catch fish. About half of the session the fish stopped taking my flies. I had 7 on the scorecard. I move to the upper part where I saw again few risers, changed back to dry dropper but still couldn't catch a fish over 20cm, I took the streamers and cast in the big pool below the waterfall, nothing, but I didn't spent too much time. My controller told me that in that pool, fish over 6lb are caught frequently by the spinning guys. Moved back to my lower pool, changed flies and start again. I had one braking me of right at the take. Replaced the fly and caught 3 more fish. 10 in total. Even I was thinking it was a good result based on the numbers of fish caught by people from my bus I've landed on 17th. Which dropped me again on final 51st overall.

Many thanks to all my team mates for sharing the knowledge and the jokes and for being so supportive. Can't wait to fish and travel again with you guys.
Cheers,
Ionut

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
That was a good write up Ionut.  Thank you.