Author Topic: How to improve landing with barbless hooks  (Read 1236 times)

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
How to improve landing with barbless hooks
« on: July 14, 2018, 10:43:34 AM »
I fish with  debarb flies and I noticed I lose more hooked fish with certain brand of hooks than the others.  This  can be due to mistakes in fighting the fish, but I have realized its more often the hooks.  I have improved my landing rate by turning the hooks about 15 degrees,  and it has also helps.

What do you do to improve my landing rates with debarb hooks?

"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: How to improve landing with barbless hooks
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 01:57:32 PM »
It's also my experience that some brands of hooks seem to hold better than others.  It may be a coincidence, but my ratio of landed to lost fish has gone way up since I've started using Orientsun 7224 hooks for my nymphs.  I don't know if they're available in Europe; here in the States I get them from tacticalflyfisher.com.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 09:21:46 PM »
Yeah,  do find that certain hook designs work better for different fishing situations, and subtle changes can make an impact.

I do sometimes offset the hook point to one side to provide more gap between the point and shank/bead.  Does not seem to hurt holding and seems to improve hooking ratio.

I know hooksetting and bite detection plays a big role in landing fish you hook, but I know everyone named Alex here has that part covered... 😉
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 05:08:18 AM »
Alex/Chris,   I tied some flies with a brand of hook called "beaver"   I did not landed majority of the trouts.  I did offset the hook point 15 degrees and it improved somehow.  I will not be looking for bargains next time.....
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 02:20:51 PM »
I purchase hooks that are manufactured as barbless, rather than debarbing them. I also purchase high-end hooks rather than the regular stuff that most shops sell, as the hooks that are manufactured as barbless are engineered to hold onto fish better than regular hooks that have had their barbs removed.
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 04:20:06 PM »
I find hanak 480, 450, 130, and 230 hooks hard to beat for most river applications.  The 450/480 have very good gap in the small sizes.

Into retrospect I don't fish many debarbed hooks (not factory barbless) as most that seem to be available to me aren't high grade, or designed well for holding fish.  However, I don't have access to filling mill and some other European brands that are factory barbed, yet well made.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Ionut Cotinghi.

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. ionut_ottawa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 05:43:51 AM »
I think that same fly pattern tied on different hook shapes hold fish different. I'm fishing factory barbless exclusive so I can't compare with debarbed hooks. On topic, keeping a tight line, not playing the fish long time and also not rushing the fish to the net is what I'm doing.