Author Topic: Blood knots  (Read 1295 times)

David Bisnett

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Blood knots
« on: July 22, 2018, 11:01:52 AM »
Hey guys,

When tying up my leaders, I find blood knots to be very effective for large diameter material, approx 15-40 lb test for the upper and/ or butt sections but not so much when the diameter drops down below around 15. For the thinner sections Im using a triple surgeons knot; any thoughts or ideas about a better knot to use or does it sound alright?

Thanks,
David

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Blood knots
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 06:55:05 PM »
I have used blood knots for a long time, and my conservative instincts often kick in and I find myself using one still.  But, I think that the strongest knot to join two pieces of tippet is the Orvis Tippet Knot, and I find myself using it more and more.  It is also the best knot to use when you want to add a dropper tag.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 07:27:56 AM »
I tend to use blood knots for the medium to thicker diameter leader materials, and us a triple surgeon knot for connecting lighter tippet.

I am pleased to say that my knots have never failed me, even when playing very large trout and salmon (knock on wood). The secret is to lubricate all of your knots before drawing them tight (I use my own saliva for the lubricant)... ;)
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Scott Voisin

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 07:44:54 AM »
I have used the double uni-knot for years and so I use it a lot for line to line connections especially with the medium and smaller lines.
Good things come to those who wade.
instagram.com/mostly_trout

Francois Dallaire

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 10:37:19 AM »
I like blood knots for leaders, and double surgeon for the tippet.

The blood knot will intercept a casting knot and stop if from cinching down to tight a lot of the times.

You can also hold a double surgeon with one hand halfway though it to swat away a horse fly that's about to take a pound of flesh off your face.

David Bisnett

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 02:13:07 PM »
Alex,I googled the Orvis Tippet knot and tied it a few times: great knot , Im gonna try it, thanks!!

Mike Smith

• 2 Star Member
  • A.K.A. smitty
    • View Profile
Re: Blood knots; improving it...
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 06:32:07 PM »
Was reading about the improved blood knot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsdfZ66fE08

David Bisnett

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile