Author Topic: Are you a Biter or a Nipper?  (Read 3022 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Are you a Biter or a Nipper?
« on: July 23, 2018, 07:36:57 AM »
While teaching my dentist how to fly fish, I noticed that he was keeping a sharp eye on my to see if I was biting my tippet while trimming my knots, as in the past, he constantly tells me that I should be using nippers and shouldn't bite my leader, as it has been doing some minor damage to my teeth.

So, in order to avoid another lecture, I used my nippers that day, except whenever I knew he was preoccupied and his attention was focused on rising trout...

So, my question for all of you is, are you a biter or a nipper when it comes to trimming your knots?!?

Thanks,
Todd, the closet biter...
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Scott Voisin

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a Biter or a Nipper?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 07:41:50 AM »
I need to admit that I bite quite often but I know that I have damaged my teeth so as I get a little older (and wiser, ha) I use my nipper most of the time.  I actually was dumb enough a couple of years ago to bite some 12 or 15lb leader and I ended up with a semi-circle shaped nick in my front tooth.  Plus the nipper make a cleaner and closer cut.  Hopefully the nipper wins out.
Good things come to those who wade.
instagram.com/mostly_trout

Gord Dykstra

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 09:05:51 AM »
Biter, and my dentist lectures me all the time. Especially when he has to perform bridges and crowns because of the  :-[abuse.
Slowly turning to a nipper as the crowned and bridge teeth will not perform like they once did before. Pretty sure my dentist played a role in that as well, keeping the eye teeth more rounded without a cutting edge.
If only I had a penny for every time I thought about fishing.

Ionut Cotinghi.

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. ionut_ottawa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 09:10:04 AM »
I'm using a nipper most of the time. Biting the tippet results in a not so square cut and you can have issues when threading the tippet for small flies.

Francois Dallaire

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 10:22:39 AM »
Nipper.

Terrified of the dentist. When you're well insured every excuse is good to get in there and pull, drill, poke and jab at everything in there.  I do everything I can to keep that guy at bay.

John Wilkinson

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 12:55:44 PM »
Biter, and my dentist lectures me all the time. Especially when he has to perform bridges and crowns because of the  :-[abuse.
Slowly turning to a nipper as the crowned and bridge teeth will not perform like they once did before. Pretty sure my dentist played a role in that as well, keeping the eye teeth more rounded without a cutting edge.

Gord and I have the same dentist and he rounded my pearly white biter too. I still bite if I am in a real hurry but otherwise I am a nipper now.

Johnnysensodine
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 01:06:36 PM »
definitely a nipper!
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

Utah_Jay

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 03:05:37 AM »
This Newb only uses nippers.  They are on a zinger on the right hand side of my chest pack, seems silly to not use them, and I can be more precise in my trimming
In the learning mode :)

Stanton Jack

• 5 Star Member
  • a.k.a. Jack Stanton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 06:24:43 AM »
Nipper now days for sure, and glad I made the change over.. I have friends I grew up with in Kamloops that have permanent grooves in their front choppers from biting monos and fluoro over the decades... Yikes!
“The hands find a way to do what the heart wants to say" - Paco de Lucia

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 08:41:55 AM »
I use the nippers simply because when I bite the tippet I find it often doesn't give a sharp enough cut, and it compresses the tippet material (making it wider/flatter) - which sometimes makes it too tough for me to feed through the eyes of some flies.  The nippers give me a cleaner cut, so the leader maintains it rounded shape and fits though the hook eyes better (which means faster for me!).  I probably don't bite fast and hard enough... lol.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Istvan Kereszturi

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Vancityflyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 05:37:24 PM »
99% of the time i use my nippers. I find it faster and gives me a more precised cut.
Any river, any time...

Taylor Culver

• 3 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 01:27:51 AM »
what chris ssaid! you bite your line to tie on a new fly just to nip it clean cause it doesn't go through the eye lol
I ❤️ Fly Fishing 🎣