Author Topic: How Low Do You Go?  (Read 1071 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
How Low Do You Go?
« on: July 24, 2018, 03:00:19 PM »
Anglers are often concerned about the diameter of their tippet spooking fish, but are even more concerned about the potential of breaking-off fish as a result of going to light.

I tend to use the lightest tippet possible in order to match the size and strength of the fish size; the targeted fish species; and the resistance of the current. But having said that... I often take the gamble and go really light if the fish are heavily pressured and leader-shy, as I'd rather catch lots of small and medium size fish instead worrying about losing the occasional larger fish and sacrificing my presentation...

In most situations while targeting trout, I'm using 5X for lakes and 7X for rivers, even if there is the hope of encountering the occasional large fish in the mix. I'll use fluorocarbon if I feel the need to increase the breaking strength of my leader without increasing the diameter..

How about the rest of you? How low do you go?!?

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Francois Dallaire

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: How Low Do You Go?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 03:25:13 PM »
7.5 x is my go too now.  I lost quite a few 20inchers in heavy current.

Stanton Jack

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 09:43:28 PM »
4x on the lakes and 6x for most of the rivers..  I'm going to be experimenting with 7x outside of a comp setting which should help me understand it's breaking threshold and hydro dynamics a bit more.  Nice to know others are using it though.
"Someday the mountain might get me, but the law never will" - Waylon Jennings

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 01:27:49 AM »
Of late, my entire leader (about 6-7 ft.) has been 5x. 

Alex

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 08:08:34 AM »
I like .12mm (6x) and .10mm (7x).  It is amazing how much of a difference the tippet can make some days.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.