Author Topic: Problem with tippet ring knots  (Read 1871 times)

Mike Smith

• 2 Star Member
  • A.K.A. smitty
    • View Profile
Problem with tippet ring knots
« on: August 02, 2018, 02:11:49 PM »
I've been trying to incorporate more tippet rings into my fishing. Problem is that I seem to get breakages right at the ring (on the tippet to fly side). Does anyone have any advice here? I have been using a clinch knot, then tried the trilene knot. Didn't seem to help.

I quickly learned about the trick of keeping the ring on the safety pin, did make tying the knots easier. However, as of right now, I'd have to say I have had mixed results using tippet rings and my faith in the them holding knots / breaking strength.

Appreciate the help!

-Mike

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Problem with tippet ring knots
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 02:22:22 PM »
I use the improved clinch knot and always wet my knots with saliva before drawing them tight. It really should be no different than tying your tippet to the eye of a hook, except the tippet rings are typically quite a bit smaller...

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 01:24:10 PM »
Yeah, I agree with Todd as there should not be a difference between the eye of the hook and a tippet ring, unless the rings have a rough edge.  Improved Clinch or even basic clinch knot should work very good.

Do you find it breaks (clean break on tippet end) or it pulls loose (little pigtail at the end of the tippet) when it comes off?
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Peter Huyghebaert

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 06:57:33 AM »
I had a few problems with improved clinch knots at the sighter/tippit connecter.  Solved the problem in two ways.  Now I tie "double" clinch for line to sighter ring, both sides, and also "double" clinch for the sighter/tippit connections, then a simple 5 or 6 turn clinch at the fly (so this is lost first).  The biggest problem with fluorocarbon knots is the propensity to heat up and weaken when tightened dry.  So I wet (spit) all my knots and tighten slowly, making sure neither end has any slack.  Works like a charm and I fish fairly light gear for Pinks (up to 6-7 lbs) and Sockeye (up to 10lbs) - now all I lose are flies!!!!   with my eyes I don't want to have to re-tie in sighters and/or new tippits  and/or rings on the water - a few flies are worth the finicky tying of your line/sighter/tippit connections.   If any fluorocarbon knot "slips" it will heat up and give out, leaving a clean break, if you get a curl on the end, you need to do one or more turns and - TIGHTEN, slowly and wet........Tight lines....
I Fish - therefore I am!

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 04:41:30 AM »
Hi Mike,  do you think you really need tippet rings?
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 04:59:38 AM »
I've found that some tippet rings have little nicks that cut through tippet.  I've solved that problem by buying only quality tippet rings.

And, of course, the tippet doesn't know if it's being tied to a hook or a ring.  A knot that works on a hook should also work on a ring.  Try the double davy knot for speed and strength.

Scott Voisin

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 05:53:43 AM »
I would say that tippet rings are worth their weight in gold except that they weight half of nothing.  They absolutely make euronymphing more efficient in maintaining the leader and adjusting our tippet diameter, length and type quickly to met the conditions.  We would adjust because of changing conditions, water depth, water speed, the fish's behavior,  hatches etc or just retying if we break off.  Tippet rings are such a simple little device but make a BIG difference.  Buying quality products and tying good knots should make the difference in your break-off situation.
Good things come to those who wade.
instagram.com/mostly_trout

Francois Dallaire

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 07:27:21 AM »
Iíd say youíre sort of asking for it with tippet rings. 

If we are talking droppers, thatís 3 clinch knots where you could have had a single triple surgeon or blood knot. The more you have moving parts in machinery, the more youíre asking for trouble.  Same with knots.

The first knot to the ring is especially annoying because you need to come up with a way to cinch it correctly; that is while keeping tension like you would by pulling a fly by the hook as you cinch your knot. Canít do that with a tippet ring; itís to small.  If youíre cinching the first knot just by pulling the main line and the tag end, then I suspect thatís the one breaking on you.

Now assuming youíve figured out that you need to thread the line and tie the knot while the ring is still on the little swivel it comes on, so you can cinch this knot by pulling on the swivel like you would pull on your fly; you still must tie 2 more knots.  The other two will be super easy; but you still must tie them right.

I have no way to prove this, but I suspect over time the metal ring bites into the tippet, think 7x and 8x here.  You could argue that the clinch knot to the fly will do the same but; you change flies often and must retie and rejuvenate this connection with a fresh knot often.

So in your case itís a tug of war between the clinch knot to your fly which gets rejuvenated often, and the poor clinch knot up top that has been working hard for multiple outings holding on to that tippet ring.

My tippet ring problems solved themselves one day.  They all fell out of that swivel and onto the ground as I was handling them.  I didnít bend over to retrieve them.

Graham Byrnes

• 5 Star Member
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 02:45:19 PM »
I have had a couple of batches of bad tippet rings in the past with sharpish edges or faults...  With bad ring you may be able to feel that they dont seem right when you pull up the knot- They dont feel "slippery"

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 04:13:41 PM »
I have been lucky so far, but have heard of others with the same problem, Graham. I'd telling hate to lose a trophy fish or fish that could make the difference in my end result!
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...