Author Topic: Sighter Material?  (Read 1104 times)

Utah_Jay

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Sighter Material?
« on: August 07, 2018, 03:12:51 AM »
Being an old school Saltwater guy I have always built my own leaders to tune them just the way I like, so my question is:

Is there a visibility difference between Courtland slighter material and the Amnesia FL Green and FL Red material?

It seems I can build my own to my own specs and put a few blood knots in for extra visibility.

In the learning mode :)

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sighter Material?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 08:05:08 AM »
In my experience, Amnesia is pretty visible, but not as visible as material made to be used as sighters, such as Cortland.  The Cortland stuff really sticks out (because, I assume, the dye is in the mono, not just on it). 

Alex

Utah_Jay

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 08:47:45 AM »
In my experience, Amnesia is pretty visible, but not as visible as material made to be used as sighters, such as Cortland.  The Cortland stuff really sticks out (because, I assume, the dye is in the mono, not just on it). 

Alex

Thanks Alex

Currently I am using this stuff for my whole leader down to my Courtland Sighter material. 
http://www.tacticalflyfisher.com/hanak-bicolor-indicator-tippet/

Honestly, being I am not fishing competitions, I am using this as my whole line tied to the backing.  Is the Courtland sighter material needed with this Hanak Bi-Color Indicator Tippet material?

I am just trying to simplify things.

I also need to set up a rod for my wife as she is going to jump into this as well.  I will splice 18’ of the Hanak to the Courtland .022 nymph line to make it easier for her to control the line in her hand.

Thanks again for everyone’s help

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 01:27:33 PM »
There is probably subtle difference only if any between the Cortland or Hanak.  Both are pretty good as far as thin sighters go.  You likely don't need the Cortland sighter added on, but you may need to test that to make sure it works for you.  Either Hanak or Cortland works interchangeably for me.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Utah_Jay

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 01:36:37 PM »
There is probably subtle difference only if any between the Cortland or Hanak.  Both are pretty good as far as thin sighters go.  You likely don't need the Cortland sighter added on, but you may need to test that to make sure it works for you.  Either Hanak or Cortland works interchangeably for me.

Cool

Thanks Chris