Author Topic: In-water sighter/indicator  (Read 1089 times)

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
In-water sighter/indicator
« on: August 16, 2018, 05:22:28 AM »
Has anyone here ever tried using a big, visible fly (say a bright San Juan worm) as an in-the-water nymphing indicator?  The basic idea would be to have you "sighter" closer to your flies, reducing the lag between strike and indication.   This idea is not that different from using a piece of brightly colored fly line or backing as a "sighter," except that it would be in the water not above it.

Alex
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 10:06:45 AM by Alex Argyros »

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: In-water sighter/indicator
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 08:00:50 AM »
Great topic, Alex!

I use "in-water sighters" for various conditions and types of water, and find them to be extremely helpful at times.

Even using something as simple as a brightly-coloured bead or highly-visible hot-spot on the nymph or streamer can make all of the difference.
 Just watch and track the movement of the hot-spot on the nymph and set the hook when it disappears...
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

David Bisnett

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 01:45:42 PM »
Sounds like a good idea, would you be counting on actually fishing your in-water sighter or would function entirely as a sighter for the other flies? This fly would obviously be the top or hand fly so how deep would it be and still be able to be seen and effective?

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 02:03:54 PM »
The idea is to have the fly flow just beneath the surface of the water.  I'd be technically fishing the fly, but mainly using it as a strike indicator.  I must add that I haven't tried this.  Maybe I will this weekend.

Alex

David Bisnett

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 05:13:18 AM »
Sounds good, probably can only use up close or you won’t see the fly well enough. Check it out and see what your working range is , is love to try that myself 😊

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 04:40:10 AM »
Alex, you are referring to the "duo " or "duet" .  I can explain it but you better off to watch this video I am sending,  I fished with Jon on River Tees several years ago. 
He is one of the best anglers in the UK and a member of UK fly fishing team.  Good luck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6JbwU1SA2w
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman