Author Topic: OrientSun 5240 Wide Gap Vs. Hanak 450 Wide Gap  (Read 822 times)

Utah_Jay

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
OrientSun 5240 Wide Gap Vs. Hanak 450 Wide Gap
« on: September 18, 2018, 07:23:10 AM »
Somewhat of a newbie here, I like the wide gap hooks and am looking for some expert opinions.

The OrientSun 5240 is a bit more oversized and has more of an upturned hook point.  Does this upturned hook point help to stay hooked up?  Might it hook fewer fish?

Both hooks (yes I have been tying on both already, but looking to start ordering in larger quantities) seem to have very good tensile strength (aversion to bending)

The OrientSun 5240 is $5.95 per 25, whereas the Hanak 450 is $8.95 per 25, this works out to about $0.10 per hook, so it is hardly a huge deal, but when ordering lots of hooks it does add up.  But bottom line is, Im really looking for the best hook between the two. 
In the learning mode :)

Utah_Jay

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: OrientSun 5240 Wide Gap Vs. Hanak 450 Wide Gap
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 12:35:00 AM »
Being I have yet to get a reply to the question, here are photos of each hook.  I know it is not a side by side comparison but I am traveling and dont have same size hooks to take the photo myself.  The OrientSun is a bit oversized and has a larger gap.  I am most interested in what you guys think of the angle of the hook point on the respective hooks.

In the learning mode :)

Francois Dallaire

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: OrientSun 5240 Wide Gap Vs. Hanak 450 Wide Gap
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 08:02:03 AM »
I suggest you put some beads on there and see what the gap between the hook point and the bead is.  Might be worth sacrificing one of each and intentionally bending them open or even breaking them in your vice to see what the quality of the metal is.

I'm sold on Hanak in general for the later reason.