Author Topic: Short Shank, Long Shank...But How Much?  (Read 966 times)

Travis Rothfortune

• View Profile
Short Shank, Long Shank...But How Much?
« on: October 12, 2018, 06:54:06 PM »
I've been noticing it's very common for competition hook manufacturers like Hanak, Dohiku etc to say their hook is a short shank, or a long shank, but they never say how much? Is there a standard that they generally mean? When Dohiku says their HDN blob hook is a short shank hook, how does someone know how much shorter it is than standard? ...and other life questions, by Travis.

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
Re: Short Shank, Long Shank...But How Much?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 05:08:14 AM »
A good read on the topic. This is a standard in the hook industry.

https://www.troutlore.com.au/fly-tying/understanding-fly-tying-hook-size/
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd. GAIA Certified Instructor
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia

Travis Rothfortune

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 07:23:17 AM »
Thank you for that Gary. I had just read a piece by Tom Rosenbauer where he was saying that every "x" was 1 size up, not 1 standard size (eg. #14 1x short was same length as what a #15 hook would be if it existed. A 2x short would be #16 shank length). There doesn't seem to be much consensus among the standard even.  But back to my original query, my main problem is there isn't an "x" factor given for, say, a short shank Hanak nymph hook. It just says "short shank."

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 07:38:30 AM »
Yes, it can be a bit confusing, and what one manufacturer calls a size 10 can be completely different from another says, which adds to the confusion.

I just buy and try for the most part.

Or, I ask around and see if anyone has tried brand X and brand Y, and if they have a picture comparing the two brands.  If you know one of the brands well, then you can make comparisons and know what you are getting. 

Sometimes the local rep also can be very helpful and can tell you how their brand compares to another that you might know.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.