Author Topic: Loch style rods  (Read 2988 times)

Matthew Mikes

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Loch style rods
« on: November 11, 2018, 07:30:29 PM »
Hello,
I'm curious and looking for advice.  I have not been competing very much over the past few year's and have been missing the competition scene.  I would like to up my game and join in the fun again next stillwater season.  In the past, my competition rod had been a 10'  7wt imperial.  Matched with 7wt rio in touch lines. I would always leave a lake competition frustrated because I could find and hook fish but I lost many of them.  This past season, fishing with a friend and our young boys, I primarily fished with a 9' 6wt rod. I used 8lb or 6lb tippet, hooked at lot of fish and landed most of them...much better landing ratio then in the past.  I believe that my increase in netting fish has to do with a softer rod tip that's not bouncing fish off the hook.  It could also be because the only pressure in losing a fish was the laughter or sighs from my 6 and 4 year old boys! I would like to invest in a great 10' rod for comp and recreational fishing.  I understand it is essential to know and trust my equipment so I can focus on finding and hooking fish.  I'm curious what rods you are using and what you would suggest? My next rod will be my primary lake rod. As you may appreciate, the rod will need to bring fish in fast and protect light tippet. I have been researching a lot of online forums  and understand that everyone has different casting style, likes and dislikes. I would very much like to here from you what you are currently finding successful.  Thanks in advance.

Marc Bilan

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Loch style rods
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 03:38:59 AM »
I'm interested as well.  I've been looking to upgrade my rod and have been thinking of going to a heavier line.   Be interested to see what other guys are using, what they've tried and like or are looking to get next.

Stanton Jack

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 06:31:03 AM »
This September I picked up a Sage VXP 10ft/6wt, and I'm loving it! Really smooth casting with Airflo 6/7 lines, and plenty of turnaround power to handle the hot ones. Before this, I was using an older Sage RPL+ 9ft/6wt... great rod for throwing indicators but quite stiff and wasn't quite as effective hooking up with the smaller fish. Good luck with the rod search :)
"Someday the mountain might get me, but the law never will" - Waylon Jennings

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 07:47:02 AM »
Great topic! I've posed this question to several of my international coaches, fellow competitors, teammates, and mentors, and received a variety of answers, but all of them recommend 7-weight 10 foot rods.

Based on what I have been taught and learned through my own experiences and experimentation with fly lines, techniques, and fish, I found the 10 foot, 7-weight Sage Z-Axis to be the perfect fit for my style of angling and how I play fish, as well as the size and species fish that I encounter and target.

I have a lot of other rods, but find the action of this rod ideal for reducing the number of dropped fish. Like many thing relating to fly fishing, you need to find what works best for you and your style of fishing. The competitive setting is ideal for collecting data and assessing your results, as you can rely on the feedback and results of the other competitors to confirm your findings and observations.

That being said; I am working on other factors that I consider to be more significant factors regarding dropped and lost fish...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 07:55:04 AM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Francois Dallaire

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 08:13:00 AM »
The Zephrus for me.  Awesome tip protection.  I put a 20 pounds atlantic salmon on it and it handled it perfectly.  I've been fishing dry dropper on lakes with it as of late and have been setting the hook like a mad man when that dry goes down; no problem there.

Excellent rod.

Matthew Mikes

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 07:57:59 PM »
Thanks for the feed back so far.  When I got into competitive fishing I was encouraged to purchase a 10' 7 weight.  I did and I now feel the rod is too heavy and stiff for the trout I'm pursuing.  It has worked very well on coho this fall!  Are the recommendations for a 10' 7wt based around casting heavy sinking lines, casting with blowing wind, fishing with multiple flies, fishing with long leaders, comfort? 
Todd, I have always enjoyed how you seem to have another ace up your sleeve... what other factors should I be considering that may be more important?😉 I have sooo much to learn!

Stanton Jack

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 05:52:41 AM »
Hi Matthew, not sure if you've bought a new rod yet but a few days ago I lawn castes an Echo Ion XL 10ft6wt. It was a nice feeling rod with fairly quick action and quite light. I'm not too sure how it would feel on a hook up, but great rod for just over $200. Anyway I thought I would pass this onto you. Cheers! S..
"Someday the mountain might get me, but the law never will" - Waylon Jennings

Francois Dallaire

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 06:29:40 AM »
I'd stick to a 10 foot 7wt if I were you. 

Lots of rods manufactures are going crazy with the "supper uber maximum and then some" fast action rods because clients think that will enable them to cast half a km away.  These rods are terrible fish fighting tools.

I'd look for a rod with a different action if i were you. One that won't bounce fish but will still let you cast far. 

Spending a 2 day comp sitting on a thwart board trying to consistently punch out three wet streamers at 80+ feet with a 6wt rod doesn't sound like fun to me at all. 

You could get a super stiff/fast action 6wt rod but then you'll be back with a terrible fish fighting tool in your hands.

Ionut Cotinghi.

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. ionut_ottawa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 06:46:31 AM »
My favorite lake rod is a 7/8 weight 10.6 feet long, not too fast. I like longer rods in general, handles easier longer leaders.

John Wilkinson

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 07:04:10 AM »
I also use a Sage Z-axis 10' 6wt for bigger fish and multiple flies. Meets all the things you want in a rod. But they are getting hard to find and very expensive. Last year I acquired an Echo 3 10' 5wt rod and decided to put it through the paces this spring and summer with all the different lines and size of fish. I was pleasantly surprised how well this rod performed in all phases! Casted all lines, even a 7 wt type 7 full sink with ease. Small fish stayed on and larger fish were played in quickly. I also like how the rod bends to soften the stretch and not straighten out weaker or smaller hooks. When it came to the NALS year I had to make a decision on what rod to use and I took a chance and used the Echo 3. I think my results show how this rod can perform.  ;)

I would love to try the 6wt version of this rod with multiple flies for sure. Maybe next year

p.s. this rod retails for $499

JohnnyEcho
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Clint Goyette

• 5 Star Member
  • Squamish BC
    • View Profile
    • Valley Fishing Guides - Vancouver - Squamish - Whistler
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 10:10:44 AM »
I thought I would mention a few things I look for and think about for a good lake set-up.
1. Medium Fast to Fast Action - Rods in my line up are : 7100 Z-Axis, 7100 X, 7100 Accel, 7100 Flight, and 7100 Response (In order of preference)
2. Decent Reel (I use the Greys GX500 and GX700 because they are cheap) - don't get a heavy one!
3. I have overlined my reels with #8 lines for the most part.  This allows some badass casting when the wind is up and doesn't seem to make a difference with smaller fish!

There are many reasons that will affect your choice in rods (budget being one of the big ones).  I would make sure you do not get a super fast rod!  They absolutely suck and you WILL drop fish.  As Todd and Johnny have mentioned there are many reasons we drop fish and one of the biggest reasons is a rod that doesn't flex at the tip.

I am not super concerned with tippet breaking due to the rod unless I am in Manitoba! 

Tight Lines,

Clint

Tight Lines,

Clint Goyette
Professional BC Angling Guide since 2000
https://www.facebook.com/valleyfishing

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 11:16:26 AM »
Lots of good discussion in this thread.

90% of the time I use a 6wt Sage X 10'.  The lines I use are all 7 wt, except that I carry a 5wt floater and a 6 wt floater, for when the time dictates it.

I have a 5 wt and a 7wt rod for loch style, which all use the same lines as above.  But these are special purpose rods that get used less frequently, and I could do without them technically.

I find on average I like the 6 wt.  Sometimes it doesn't cast as far in the wind compared to if I was fishing a 7wt (though 75% of the time the wind is at my back, so not a huge concern), but it does hold fish better I think.  I like using the 5wt when I know I am less likely to go heavier than a Di3 (though it handles up to the Di7 fine - a little less the Di8) and when I am fishing for smaller hatchery fish. 

Clint makes a good point about the Fast Action rods I think.  I also use the same reels as he does.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Matthew Mikes

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 03:26:29 PM »
Thanks everyone for take the time to respond. 
I appreciate the feedback. I have been researching for the past month, reading and watching videos.  I have lawn cast a few rods now and I'm leaning towards the echo 3.  Thanks Johnny for the recommendation. It's in my price range, feels great in my hand, seems to have a soft tip (med fast action rod) and in can bomb out line.   Clint, I appreciate the feedback in regards to staying away from fast/extra fast rods.  Sems like the UK market has developed specific rods to make long casts, tight loops with soft tips.  It might be my inexperience but it's hard to find something like that in north America.  I have really been enjoying this process.  Also, thanks for the feed back on reels. I will be geting a cassette  style reel for new airflow lines.

Clint Goyette

• 5 Star Member
  • Squamish BC
    • View Profile
    • Valley Fishing Guides - Vancouver - Squamish - Whistler
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 01:14:00 PM »
Sound alike a good plan!

Tight lines,

Clint
Tight Lines,

Clint Goyette
Professional BC Angling Guide since 2000
https://www.facebook.com/valleyfishing

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 03:56:47 PM »
Ten foot seven weights for most conditions works very well and if there is amore wind than the 7 weight can cast into. Then a 10' x  8 weight works well under most windier conditions.
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd. GAIA Certified Instructor
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia