Author Topic: 2012 Summer Series Competitive Fly Fishing League - Southwestern B.C.  (Read 1731 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • Loch-Style Fly Fishing
The Innovative Fly Fisher is pleased to announce the launch of a fly fishing league that has been formed in Southwestern British Columbia. This new league will allow newbies, rookies, members of the West Coast Division of our National Youth Fly Fishing Team and seasoned competitors, an opportunity to participate in a series of friendly-spirited competitions, and to gain some additional competition experience while sharing our collective knowledge and supporting each other.

The "2012 Summer Series" has an open invitation event for all to attend - no matter what level of experience they might have! The Whonnock Lake, Sasamat Lake and Buntzen Lake Loch-Style Fly Fishing Competitions were our first 3 lakes in this series, and will be followed by at least 3 more events before the end of the season, which will conclude with a Season Finale Competition and festivities (locations and dates to be posted at a later date).

These competitions will provide newbies and curious onlookers a chance to come out and try (or observe) an actual competition. It'll also allow them to see what competitive fly fishing is all about, and to help celebrate and promote our sport...

Sunday October 15, 2012: Mills Lake Loch-Style Fly Fishing Competition, is the 5th event of the "2012 Summer Series", will be held on Mills Lake in downtown Abbotsford, British Columbia. Members of the Youth and Senior Teams will be serving a hot dog and burger lunch, as a part of their fundraising projects, so please bring along some cash to help support their cause. Click on the following link for more details and information on this event: http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum/index.php?topic=461.msg2676#msg2676

Here's a look at the Point System that's being used for the “2012 Summer Series” Competitive Fly Fishing League:

The formula for the point system is based on 100 points for each competitor in that particular competition, with a multiplier of 2 for 1st place; 3 for 2nd place; 4 for 3rd place; which is then reduced by an additional multiplier of 1 for the rest of the top 50% of the competitors. This formula will reward the top 50% with the highest percentage of the points for the Summer Series League's Leader Board.

The formula is then reduced by an additional multiplier of 2 for each placing below the 50% mark. All competitors will be awarded points (regardless of their placing) for just showing up and learning from the experience...

Here's an example of the calculations of points awarded in a competition with 10 competitors:

1st – 500 points (100 points ื 10 competitors ๗ 2 = 500 points)
2nd – 333 points (100 points ื 10 competitors ๗ 3 = 333 points)
3rd – 250 points (100 points ื 10 competitors ๗ 4 = 250 points)
4th – 200 points (100 points ื 10 competitors ๗ 5 = 200 points)
5th – 167 points (100 points ื 10 competitors ๗ 6 = 167 points)
6th – 125 points (100 points ื 10 competitors ๗ 8 = 125 points)
7th – 100 points (100 points ื 10 competitors ๗ 10 = 100 points)
8th – 83 points (100 points ื 10 competitors ๗ 12 = 83 points)
9th – 71 points (100 points ื 10 competitors ๗ 14 = 71 points)
10th – 63 points (100 points ื 10 competitors ๗ 16 = 63 points)

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 03:54:42 PM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Marc Bilan

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Will these be 3 fly comps, or 1 fly comps(bc public water regs)?  I'm going to try to attend a couple of these events.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Loch-Style Fly Fishing
They're all going to be single fly competitions, as they're being held on public waters. It would be great to see you coming out for a few (or all) of these mini-comps, as these events are primarily designed for socializing and having a fun time together on the water, as well as fundraising for the Youths.

They'll also give you a chance to fish with some of the members that we sit and tie flies with at our local fly tying nights, and always seem to say that "we should really get together and go fishing sometime" but never seem to...

Some of these mini-comps are being planned as after-work/evening events that will be held mid-week, during the summer months (longer hous of daylight), so they won't necessarily interfere with your jobs, activities and other commitments on the weekends.

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
They'll all be 1-fly Marc  :), as they are public waters, and we consequently follow the regulations as is (which is typical of most competitions, even in foreign lands - the events are always subject to local regualtions, which supercede any FM or competition rules).
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

www.skookumsflybox.com

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Looks like Todd and I were typing at the same time.

I'm really interested in tackling some of these venues, as some I've never really covered that seriously.  I don't believe I've ever fished Buntzen or Sasamat, though I have hiked around them.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

www.skookumsflybox.com

Christian Lodders

• View Profile
I would love to take part in some of these events.  Marc has been telling me all about how much he enjoyed the Trojan Pond event last year and how much he's looking forward to it again this year.  I've got a young family though, so the expenditure of time and money makes events like that less possible for me.  The events that you have planned should allow me to get a taste of what competitive angling is like.  Looking forward to it.  Where do I sign up?

Hmm, I guess I'll have to get Marc to take me out with the drogue and show me how that works...

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Greta to hear Christian!

I understand your restraints!  I got two boys, 4 and 7, and a hectic work life, and fitting everything in relies on a miracle sometimes.  Hope to run into you soon!

www.skookumsflybox.com

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Loch-Style Fly Fishing
Christian, I'm very pleased to hear that you're interested in coming out and participating at a few of the Summer Series Loch-Style Fly Fishing mini-comps/social gatherings! The Summer Series is going to be a whole lot of fun (both on and off the water) and a great opportunity to meet other fly fishers and learn more about this dynamic style of fishing.

I'll have plenty of spare drogues on hand, so I'm encouraging everyone to come out and give it a try (they are a free event)! Sunday's mini-comp on Whonnock Lake is the 1st event in this series!!

Just remember that it's only fishing and we're all there to learn and have a good time...

Cheers,
Todd
 :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 06:49:55 AM by Todd Oishi »

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Loch-Style Fly Fishing
Here's the updated Summer Series League's Leader Board, which includes the results from the Whonnock Lake and Sasamat Lake Loch-Style Fly Fishing Competitions:

1.   Chris Puchniak     1067     
2.   Devin Ramsay      809
3.   Arthur Olesiak      500 
4.   Rob Ramsay        483
5.   Todd Oishi           473 
6.   Jason Gemperle   464   
7.   Vance Whitley     343   
8.   Richard Choi        263   
9.   Jordan Viveiros    235     
10.   Paul Davidson      219
11.   Chris Barnes        200   
12.   Jeff Choi              127   
13.   Aaron Laing         108
14.   Dayne Simpson     64
15.   Greg Simpson       64

Hope to see a few more new faces at the next competition on Buntzen Lake on Sunday July http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum/index.php?topic=384.0

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Loch-Style Fly Fishing
Here's the updated Summer Series League's Leader Board, which includes the results from the Whonnock Lake; Sasamat Lake and Buntzen Lake competitions (28 competitors):

1.   Todd Oishi              1523
2.   Chris Puchniak        1417
3.   Rob Ramsay             903
4.   Devin Ramsay          849
5.   Martin Payne            700
6.   Vance Whitley          643
7.   Kevin Cucheron        525 
8.   Arthur Olesiak          500 
9.   Jordan Viveiros        488
10.   Jason Gemperle       464   
11.   Richard Choi            263 
12.   Matthew Mikes        233   
13.   Paul Davidson         219
14.   Chris Chan              210
15.   Chris Barnes           200   
16.   Erik Barker              191
17.   Tyler Wilkinson       175
18.   Jeff Choi                  127   
19.   Aaron Laing            108
20.   Greg Simpson         104
20.   Dayne Simpson      104
22.   Neville Gosling         40
22.   Jose Viveiros            40
22.   Rob Zed                   40
22.   Kevin Ehl                  40
22.   Joe Horvath             40
22.   Dan Baraniuk           40
22.   John Wilkinson         40

Click on the following link to read more about yesterday's event at Buntzen Lake: http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum/index.php?topic=384.0
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:18:52 AM by Todd Oishi »

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Loch-Style Fly Fishing
Here's the updated Summer Series League's Leader Board, which includes the results from the Whonnock Lake; Sasamat Lake; Buntzen Lake; and Hicks Lake competitions (31 competitors/participants to date):

1.   Chris Puchniak        1697
2.   Rob Ramsay             1603
3.   Todd Oishi                1563
4.   Devin Ramsay          1315
5.   Martin Payne            700
6.   Vance Whitley          683
7.   Kevin Cucheron        565 
8.   Chris Barnes              550   
9.   Arthur Olesiak          500 
10.   Jordan Viveiros       488
11.   Jason Gemperle      464   
12.   Richard Choi            263 
13.   Matthew Mikes      233   
14.   Erik Barker              231
15.   Paul Davidson         219
16.   Chris Chan              210
17.   Tyler Wilkinson       175
18.   Greg Simpson         144
18.   Dayne Simpson      144
20.   Jeff Choi                  127   
21.   Aaron Laing            108
22.   Dan Baraniuk           80
23.   Neville Gosling        40
23.   Jose Viveiros            40
23.   Rob Zed                     40
23.   Kevin Ehl                   40
23.   Joe Horvath              40
23.   John Wilkinson         40
23.   Mike Oishi                 40
23.   Ron Corby                 40
23.   Steven Lowns           40

Click on the following link to read more about yesterday's event at Hicks Lake: http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum/index.php?topic=461.msg2676#msg2676

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Loch-Style Fly Fishing
I just wanted to thank all 36 competitors and the many volunteers that helped to make this year's Summer Series such a fun and enjoyable competition. An event such as this simply wouldn't be possible without the involvement of the competitors came out and braved the elements, tough fishing conditions, and still managed to have a great time while making some new friends and learning a few new techniques and tactics for loch-style fishing and stillwater fishing in general.

So... without any further ado, here's the final results from the 2012 Summer Series, which includes the results from the Whonnock Lake; Sasamat Lake; Buntzen Lake; Hicks Lake; and Mill Lake competitions (36 competitors/participants and 5 venues):

2012 Summer Series Individual Results:

1.   Todd Oishi               2563 - Gold Individual Medalist
2.   Chris Puchniak         2197 - Silver Individual Medalist
3.   Rob Ramsay            2003 - Bronze Individual Medalist
4.   Devin Ramsay         1537
5.   Vance Whitley          865
6.   Martin Payne            780
7.   John Wilkinson         707
8.   Kevin Cucheron        698 
9.   Chris Barnes            550   
10.   Matthew Mikes         519   
11.   Arthur Olesiak          500 
12.   Jordan Viveiros        488
13.   Jason Gemperle       464   
14.   Max Cohen              333                               
15.   Paul Davidson         299
16.   Mike Oishi                290                             
17.   Richard Choi            263 
18.   Aaron Laing             262
19.   Tyler Wilkinson        244
20.   Erik Barker              231
21.   Chris Chan              210
22.   Ross Pearson          200                               
23.   Dan Baraniuk          198
24.   Greg Simpson         144
24.   Dayne Simpson      144
26.   Jeff Choi                  127   
27.   Ron Corby               114
28.   Jordan Pearson      105                               
29.   Gord Wiens              95                             
30.   Rob Nagai                65                                               
31.   Neville Gosling         40
31.   Jose Viveiros            40
31.   Rob Zed                   40
31.   Kevin Ehl                  40
31.   Joe Horvath              40
31.   Steven Lowns          40

Team results:

Todd Oishi & Chris Puchniak             - Gold Team Medalists
Rob Ramsay & Devin Ramsay           - Silver Team Medalists
Vance Whitley & Kevin Cucheron     - Bronze Team Medalists
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 02:22:14 PM by Todd Oishi »

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Loch-Style Fly Fishing
Here are the photos of the Individual and Team Medalists of the 2012 Summer Series:

Individual Medalists:

Todd Oishi - Individual Gold

Chris Puchniak - Individual Silver

Robert Ramsay - Individual Bronze

Team Medalists:

Chris Puchniak & Todd Oishi - Team Gold

Robert Ramsay & Devin Ramsay - Team Silver

Kevin Cucheron & Vance Whitley - Team Bronze

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 02:35:59 PM by Todd Oishi »