Author Topic: What is your preferred technique for stillwaters?  (Read 2198 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
What is your preferred technique for stillwaters?
« on: May 13, 2019, 09:46:10 AM »
With all of the interior lakes open, I have been prepping my lake boxes and cleaning my fly lines. While sorting my fly boxes and relining my flies into their proper positions in the fly boxes, I realized just how much I have been missing my time spent casting to trout in the interior lakes.

I'm not sure how the rest of you sort your fly boxes, but I tend to keep them in boxes that are specific to certain techniques and presentations. The box that gets me most excited is my  "small stuff" boxes that are lined with the smallest of larvae patterns to fairly large emerger patterns.

I do love fishing dries as much as anyone, but I suppose that it is the technical aspect that's involved with the presentation and fishing the small stuff, in comparison to pulling or "ripping & stripping" blobs, boobies, and other lures, because for me, I get my greatest joy by experiencing the take using my sense of touch (my hands) rather than visually observing the take...

So how about the rest of you? What's your preferred method of fishing or technique for stillwaters, and what gives you the most satisfaction and your greatest joy at the end of the day??
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Stanton Jack

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: What is your preferred technique for stillwaters?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 10:53:47 AM »
I admittedly have an obsession for watching indicators get dunked over May/June, but right now my biggest stillwater thrill is tight lining chironomids with type 7 wet lines off the side of the boat. The takes are awesome! After that would be the tug of an aggressively stripped gomphus.... wow do I ever wanna go fishing now! Lol
"Someday the mountain might get me, but the law never will" - Waylon Jennings

Francois Dallaire

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 11:22:50 AM »
Stuff suspended under a big ole salmon bomber.  It's technically the bung, but I feel less filthy. My jerk friends like to remind me salmon aren't eligible for the score sheet; but that's what friends are for.

Ionut Cotinghi.

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. ionut_ottawa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 02:27:07 PM »
Washing line with boobie on point.

Mike Learmonth

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 03:09:26 PM »
At the end of the day, I don't think my joy is positively correlated with getting to fish my favorite technique. Rather for me, the most enjoyable part of stillwater angling is solving a complex problem by working through many techniques/tactics/strategies to find the best combination for that day.  The two-pronged process of discovering the pieces to the puzzle and then combining those pieces to subsequently solve the puzzle ... that's the good stuff for me!

Team Kingfisher member

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 08:03:33 PM »
I always get a huge kick when I can fish multiple flies at once and start to consider the relationship between how one fly helps/benefits another in the team concept.

I really like when I can fish something really slow and deep.  I love hooking fish when they are down deep, and just feeling that heavy weight followed by a head shake or too.  Sometimes that is using junk (Blobs and boobies), sometimes its fishing chironomids.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

John Wilkinson

• 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 06:34:31 AM »
I love it all! When I go out I usually have 4-5 rods set up with different lines, flies to match those lines and retrieves ready to go. Even the floating with an indicator I have a few different retrieves to keep me interested and focused.

Packed and ready for Leighton tomorrow. A full moon and some unsettled weather will make it a challenge for sure.

Johnnystillwater
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Gord Dykstra

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 06:40:28 AM »
I love it all! When I go out I usually have 4-5 rods set up with different lines, flies to match those lines and retrieves ready to go. Even the floating with an indicator I have a few different retrieves to keep me interested and focused.

Packed and ready for Leighton tomorrow. A full moon and some unsettled weather will make it a challenge for sure.

Johnnystillwater

My preferred technique is the one Johnny figures out before I get there :)
If only I had a penny for every time I thought about fishing.

John Wilkinson

• 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 10:55:47 AM »
 ;D ;D
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 08:17:35 AM »
When I started on the competition trail in 2013 and the year before in 2012 when I began doing much research on competition angling styles. it completely changed my lake fishing thinking and my approach. Between wind drifting and casting down wind, drogues and boat control all changed my approach. I firmly believe that my lake fishing tactics have increased my catch rates 10 fold from what and the way I use to fish lakes prior to these loch Style techniques be implemented.

In general in every place I fish with the exception of BC. I run a three fly searching technique. This usually incorporates a point or anchor fly that is determined by depth I am fishing, fishing conditions such as cold fronts or fish mood being negative neutral or positive. The flies are generally set 4-5 feet apart. I usually fish top down. I start with a floating line of a 1.75 ips sink rate. My concern is always fishing or dropping my flies to quickly through a strike zone. Again as you mentioned in hand feel is a great approach. I start my first series of casts with them at or near surface, the next series of casts will run at a 5 second count on the sink and then the next will be a 10 second count on the sink. I will do this until either i have detected strikes or have started to touch bottom.
There is much more to this and how I approach a lake. But my initial searching systems almost always starts this way. Another big difference is my leader designs that i now use which came out of England/Ireland and from some well recognized former competition anglers and authors of there time.
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd. GAIA Certified Instructor
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia