Author Topic: Sighter material  (Read 1355 times)

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Sighter material
« on: June 23, 2019, 12:41:10 PM »
I've tried many brands of sighter material (Cortland, Rio, Umpqua) and, in my experience, the neon yellow/green part of bicolor sighers is not consistent.  Sometimes, the green sections aren't really there (instead, there is faded, washed out color).  At other times, the green section starts out bright but fades after a day on the stream.

Do others here experience the same thing, and, if so, do you have any solutions to this problem?

Thanks,
Alex

Francois Dallaire

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sighter material
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 07:39:45 AM »
Have you tried ditching the slighter and using an entire leader of colored mono?

4 pound gold stren is a good start.

Ionut Cotinghi.

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. ionut_ottawa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 08:37:02 AM »
I'm using Cortland white and Soldarini tricolor and I don't have problems with these. Also, because I'm eager to try new things, I've bought this https://www.skafarsflyfishing.com/product-page/neon-wax-soft-indicator . I'll let you know how performs after a day on the water, which is long overdue.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 02:53:42 PM »
You need to make sure you find what works for yourself as we all (especially guys) have differing levels of color blindness and sensitivity, even if you don't know it.

I like red amnesia, Cortland yellow, and hanak yellow myself.  I like knots as joints too, and don't do well with two tone sighter.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Graham Byrnes

• 5 Star Member
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 01:37:50 AM »
Im a big fan of the Hanak sighter material, it does vary in color by batches a bit but it knots very well..

David Bisnett

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 09:58:50 AM »
So How does the wax work, you apply some and it increases visibility?

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 03:22:32 AM »
Yes, you put some on your sighter or just on tippet, and it makes it very visible.  Of course, by definition, it increases the diameter of the material it's put on.

My only reservation with the sighter wax is that it's messy.  At least in my hands, it ends up on more than just my tippet.

Alex

Ionut Cotinghi.

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. ionut_ottawa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 07:12:12 AM »
I agree with Alex, this is messy if you are using your hands to put it on. However, this increases sighter visibility substantial. I was using combination of black and yellow and tested in shadow and sunny places and works fine.

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 07:54:48 AM »
Ionut,

How do you put it on to minimize messiness?

And, do you put on sighter material, or do you dispense with sighter material and just put it on your tippet?

Alex