Author Topic: Breaking Thread  (Read 1216 times)

Jon Baker

• View Profile
Breaking Thread
« on: August 28, 2019, 01:44:01 PM »
I am new to fly tying, have more experience tying salmon flies, but even that is not a whole lot.  I have started tying trout flies lately and real having a hard time not breaking thread.  I used 6/0 Danville or Kevlar thread for my salmon flies and never broke much, but now that I have been tying smaller flies I have been using 8/0 waxed uni thread and having a lot of issues with breaking, I feel that I am not pulling that hard at all but all I can think is that I must be!!  does anyone have any tips or tricks to help with this?

Stanton Jack

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 02:16:40 PM »
Hi Jon, I break 8/0 dot quite a bit myself... I actually only use the stuff for hot spot collars because of the attractor colours it comes in. Maybe try UTC 70. It's what I use for my standard freshwater tying, and then UTC 140 for body tapers or if I'm building up a base (glueing on a sculpin head or something). Hopefully that helps :)
"Someday the mountain might get me, but the law never will" - Waylon Jennings

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 04:49:38 PM »
It can be the quality of the thread too.  I use semperfli and sheer, some of those 12/0 or so, and the strength is much better. 

Of course avoid the obvious stuff like hitting the hook point, having sandpaper like hands (lol), etc.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Francois Dallaire

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 05:52:27 PM »
I wonder about the hooks you are using. For tout the hooks are usually smaller and the shank will usually give you a fair warning by bending a little if you pull to much. At least close to the eye.

Keep your hand off the spool, the tension of the boobin should be more than enough for most cases.

If its breaking with the tension of the boobin alone then you found your problem. Spread the spool holder thingys a little with you fingers.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Francois Dallaire

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 05:54:15 PM »
Also, don't hit the hook point eh?

Jon Baker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 04:04:00 AM »
thanks
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 04:11:54 AM by Jon Baker »

Jon Baker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 04:08:44 AM »
Francois,
        I think you might've find my problem for me, I have been using a new bobbin and like I mentioned I am new to tying and never thought of the bobbin pulling to hard causing the thread to break, and I did notice it was to hard to pull thread in my opinion but thought it was just me.  I'll adjust the tension and see if it makes a difference. 
Thanks for the help!

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 07:58:28 AM »
Hi Jon,

I am a fan of Uni-Thread, but also find the 8/0 breaks when tying (extremely frustrating!!), so I use Semperfli thread for smaller nymphs and dries that require thinner diameter thread.
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Francois Dallaire

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 08:19:22 AM »
Cool Jon.

I don't use these kinds of bobbins anymore.  If you take a good long look at them you realize they are as archaic as a fork and have about as much sophistication to them as a spoon. Looks like something that came out of ancient Rome with little evolution since then.

I've moved on to automatic bobbins. Well worth the investment.

Full disclosure, my friend makes these.  But what can I say; a good product is a good product:

http://www.automaticbobbin.com/