Author Topic: Dropper tag knot  (Read 1889 times)

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Dropper tag knot
« on: February 03, 2020, 03:28:31 AM »
I've been vacillating between using an Orvis Tippet Knot and a Triple Surgeon's Knot for my dropper tags.  I was wondering if people here have any opinions on the relative merits (especially strength) of these knots, or whether they have other ideas?

Alex

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Dropper tag knot
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 05:41:28 AM »
Hi Alex,

I've experimented with a few different knots, but found that the triple surgeon knot suits my needs and style of fishing. There might be a better knot, but the triple surgeon has yet to fail me.

Cheers,
Todd
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 03:57:35 AM »
Alex,  triple surgeon nut is what i use.

Regards

Alex
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 12:01:35 PM »
I went to the Orvis Tippet knot several years ago. Firstly because it is easier to tie. Secondly on the experiments that I did with it. It held up considerably better on breaking strain when the tag and the mainline were pulled in opposing directions. Found out the hard way on a few double headers when two fish are larger than usual that it holds up better.
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd. GAIA Certified Instructor
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia

Claude Cipelletti

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. troutseeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 07:02:59 PM »
Triple sturgeon here too. Simple, fast to tie and has not failed me yet either.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 08:37:23 PM »
I think the topic of knots is always an interesting thing because not a lot of guys all use the same knot, yet each does so well (I am diverging off of just dropper tags, but the same applies here too).  You can ask 10 good anglers what knots they use, and you you likely get about 5 different answers.

I think a lot of it has to do with the person as opposed to the knot.  Some knots seem to work well for some people and not for others (same with leader material).  I think it often comes down to the fact that it isn't the knot or material, its more the person tying the knot - and often there are things in each of our tying styles that as so habit forming that they can't be changed.  And some of these habits really impact the success of a knot.

I know guys who swear by certain knots, and it works so well for them... then I try it and 'snap'.  Lol.

But to answer this question, triple surgeons with the hemostats (which I think goes by another name too which for the moment eludes me).
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Francois Dallaire

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 07:30:01 AM »
Triple Surgeons

I know that if I hold the tippet end in front of my nose with my right hand, and extend my left arm out to the left; that's the point where I want to tie the knot.  I loop back the end to where my left hand is pinching and start the knot.

It's all mechanical there is no measuring, or thinking about what I'm doing. By the time I'm done my flies will be 55 to 60cm apart.

If I have to do it in a comp it becomes a restful moment; where nothing can go wrong because it's all muscle memory; no decisions are taken.

Same result every time. Comp legal, fish it.

Agreed, Chris. I'm trying to add the double clinch knot to my arsenal and it pops on me every time!

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 10:57:43 AM »
That's a good measuring tools Francois.  I do similar.  I hold the point fly or end of the tippet with my right hand thumb and index finger, stretch my arm out away from me, and tie my knot where my shoulder it - then I have dropper right on my bicep.  Makes it routine for me too.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.