Author Topic: How would you fish this stream?  (Read 55 times)

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
How would you fish this stream?
« on: March 26, 2020, 06:29:13 AM »
How do you fish this stream?
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: How would you fish this stream?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 10:50:17 AM »
Really nice and small, but it has a fairly fast gradient and looks like some color.  Banks are wide open which doesn't give much cover, but it does allow for easy access without worrying about casting obstacles, etc... and there is no problem about not being able to cover all the water.  I suspect the fish in a tiny stream are going to be concentrated in the plunge areas that offer the best shelter in the creek.  Not much overhead cover.  But anything that is on the edges and clearer waters will spook very quickly, and all it takes is one spooked fish to ruin about 50' or water.  Being mindful of that is important.

Hoping it isn't private property and the guy in the building is going to shoot me...

Have to fish it from the bottom working up, and I am going to fish a single dry staying downstream about 40' as far as I can.  The fish can so easily spot you here, so you have to be extra careful and likely kneel your way along the edge staying as much vertically downstream as you can.  Then switch to a single nymph and fish up to covering what I just finished covering with the dry.  Then, go back to dry and repeat the process.

Small areas so if you hook a fish, force it downstream to hopefully not spook the other fish that may be in tight proximity.  It's not like a big run where you can fight a fish and not worry too  much about spooking the others.  Here if you hook a fish, if there are any other fish sharing the good lie, they are going to be spooked very fast as they have no where to go.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: How would you fish this stream?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 11:51:52 AM »
Beautiful water!! I'd do much the same as Chris.

I'd also work upstream and fish a dry dropper with a small Zebra Midge under a highly visible CDC dry fly, on a fairly short leader, so I could manage my drift, by keeping as much leader and line off the water as possible.
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...