Author Topic: How would you fish this stream?  (Read 250 times)

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
How would you fish this stream?
« on: June 15, 2020, 05:31:22 AM »
How would you fish this stream?
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: How would you fish this stream?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 07:55:32 PM »
It looks like a nice narrow gorge in a pretty high gradient creek.  It's beautiful.  Curious if it supports a good population of wild fish or if it is very nutrient rich?  Around my area, a place like that would not hold much year round (most likely) unless there was a migratory species coming through to spawn (attracting other fish).  It would hold mostly juvenille fish here.  However, I know you are not anywhere near Vancouver, so it could be vastly different... lol.

I would be wondering if the fish were in the shadows or the sunny waters, and if that changed through the day.  It's tough to tell the time of day, but the sun looks reasonably high suggested by the shadows - but tough to really tell.

I like a small stream like this because you can really make a good effort to thoroughly cover it, and the entire length of this pool looks like it could hold fish.  I would suspect that since it is summer that the bulk of the fish would be near the whitewater at the head, but I wouldn't be surprised to find fish along the edges if it as steep as it looks, and even in the tail section.

I would like to dry fly as much as I could from about where you are standing (or further back even) with fairly light line.  I would guess that I could cover up to half the length of the run from that position.  Then I would nymph from the bottom to about where I finished with the dry slowly moving up the shadowed right side.  Switch over to the dry and cover teh head, and then change over to a nymph to finish off the coverage.

I would expect most of the action to be at the head of the run, but it is tough to predict and I wouldn't want to spook much in such a small creek.

If it was around here, I would expect migratory fish to be in the river, and fishing something suggestive of an egg like pattern or baitfish might be useful.  But I could be way off on that.  Regardless, based on the picture, it's something I would be considering.

I am guessing that picture of the nice brown trout came from this river?  :-)
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: How would you fish this stream?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 11:09:40 AM »
Thanks Chris!
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman