Author Topic: Buntzen Lake Loch-Style Fly Fishing Competition- Sunday July 15th, 2012  (Read 13986 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Buntzen Lake Loch-Style Fly Fishing Competition - Sunday July 15th, 2012
Port Moody, British Columbia

Competition Water: Buntzen Lake in Port Moody, British Columbia

Schedule of Events:
Boats go in the water around 8:00am
Session 1: 9:00am to 12:00pm
Session 2: 1:00pm to 4:00pm
12:00pm - 1:00pm The Youth Team members will be serving a hot dog and burger lunch, as a part of their fundraising projects, so please bring along some cash to help support their cause.

Details:
1.   Max # of Entrants: 40
2.   FIPS-Mouche Rules
3.   Entry Fees/Payouts: None
4.   Eligible fish species: Rainbow and Cutthroat trout, Kokanee and Dolly Varden.
5.   Minimum length for scoring points: 20cm.
6.   Number of sessions: 2 Sessions.
7.   Time Period for each session: 3 hours.
8.   Number of competitors per Team: 2 competitors (Individual Competitors will be paired up).
9.   No-Fish-Period: comp water no-fish policy is in affect as of 8:00am Monday, July 8th, 2012.
10. The use of electric motors is permitted for moving about the lake (trolling is not permitted).
11. Flies must be out of the water when the boat is under power (rowing or motoring).

This competition, as well as the rest of the Summer Series, will allow participants a unique opportunity to participate in a series of friendly-spirited competitions, and to gain some additional competition experience - through the sharing of our collective knowledge and supporting each other.

Please mark this event on your calendar and respond here or email me at: toishis@uniserve.com to confirm that you're able to attend. I really want to encourage newcomers and fly fishers of all skill levels to come out and see what it's all about.

Please keep in mind that it costs absolutely nothing to enter, so you've got absolutely nothing to lose...

List of participants (please post on this thread if you wish to register or can't make it):
1. Todd Oishi
2. Dan Baraniuk
3. Chris Puchniak
4. Neville Gosling
5. Rob Ramsay
6. Devin Ramsay
7. Vance Whitley
8. Kevin Cucheron
9. Jose Viveiros
10. Jordan Viveiros
11. John Wilkinson
12. Tyler Wilkinson
13. Chris Chan
14. Rob Zed
15. Kevin Ehl
16. Joe Horvath
17. Martin Payne
18. Matthew Mikes
19. Jeff Choi
20. Richard Choi
21. Greg Simpson
22. Dayne Simpson 
23. Erik Barker
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:47:20 PM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
I got my electric motor ready to go for this one now!

I think the lake has possible catches of Kokanee and dollies as well.  Would we include those in the countable species?
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Thanks for that information Chris! I wasn't aware that Buntzen possessed those species, in which case, they'll count as well.
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Please note that the use of electric motors is permitted for moving about the lake, but trolling is not permitted during the competition sessions, and the competitor's flies must be out of the water while the boat is under power (rowing or motoring)..

I know from past experiences that there are some very large trout residing in Buntzen Lake, which should make this a very interesting and entertaining event. I hope to see all of you regulars there, as well as some more new faces!!

Cheers,
Todd

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
There is a ton of great scenery at Buntzen, but right now these are my two favourite pictures at the lake!

My oldest son Garett working the rod, thinking he just maybe had a hit:

My youngest son Jason just a little more casual, but no less committed to catch something:

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Martin Payne

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. britguy
    • View Profile
looking forward to my first competition
and looking forward to meeting other fishermen/women

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
We'll be looking forward to meeting you Martin.

If you have any questions about the process, please feel free to post question in the discussion area!

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Glad to see that you've registered for an account and signed up for this event Martin. Welcome to the forum!! :)

I'll add your name to the list of participants, and as Chris mentioned, please feel free to ask any questions that you might have, so you'll have a much more enjoyable day on the water.

I'm looking forward to meeting you in person and seeing you at this event!

Cheers,
Todd

Aaron Laing

• 5 Star Member
  • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
Can't make this one, Todd--taking my boy to the Skagit. However, I can loan someone an electric and battery if needed.

Aaron
Randy Patton: "Did you get a picture? Did anyone see it? No? Then it never happened!"

Kevin Cucheron

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • BCCFFL Organizer
    • View Profile
Hi Todd,
Please register me for this event. At this point I don't have a boat so if you could help me out with a pairing that would be great.
Thanks
Team Kingfisher member

If someone says you fish too much, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Welcome to the forum Kevin!

I'll find you a spot, as there'll be room in several boats for boatless individuals that wish to attend and compete.

Look forward to seeing you at this competition!

Cheers,
Todd

P.S. For those of you who where there...  Kevin was the alternate angler at the B.C. Loch-Style Championships
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 01:32:28 PM by Todd Oishi »

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
It'll be great to meet you there Kevin!  And I hgear through the grapevine that you fished Trojan pretty well!

Kevin Cucheron

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • BCCFFL Organizer
    • View Profile
Looking forward to meeting you as well. Trojan was a lot of fun and to get a chance to fish with some of the guys that I did was very cool. As far as my success goes I give all the credit to the captains and their ability to put me in the right spot. Left up to my own devices it wouldn't have been pretty  :o
Team Kingfisher member

If someone says you fish too much, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Just checking the stocking reports and Buntzen has been stocked with 5000 rainbows in the past 2 months, with 2000 fish going in on June 14th.  They'll all be the half-pound or 11-12 inch size, so hopefully aggressive and fun to catch!

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Thanks for the stocking information Chris. Buntzen Lake is an ideal location and setting for a loch-style fly fishing competition and given the recent heavy-stockings, the fish should be quite active and willing to join in on the fun as well!!

Here's an updated list of participants (please post on this thread or email me if you wish to register or can't make it and your name is on the list):

1. Todd Oishi
2. Dan Baraniuk
3. Chris Puchniak
4. Neville Gosling
5. Rob Ramsay
6. Devin Ramsay
7. Vance Whitley
8. Kevin Cucheron
9. Jose Viveiros
10. Jordan Viveiros
11. John Wilkinson
12. Tyler Wilkinson
13. Chris Chan
14. Rob Zed
15. Kevin Ehl
16. Joe Horvath
17. Martin Payne
18. Matthew Mikes
19. Jeff Choi
20. Richard Choi
21. Greg Simpson
22. Dayne Simpson 
23. Erik Barker
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:47:56 PM by Todd Oishi »