Author Topic: Customizing and Pimping your Boats...  (Read 20337 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Customizing and Pimping your Boats...
« on: July 19, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
I picked up my new boat this afternoon. Thanks to a pro-pricing deal that was negotiated thanks to the Lund factory rep in Wisconsin and the manager at M and B Marine in Langley. It's time for a little customizing...

How about you? Care to share any comments and photos of the custom work and gadgets that you've added to your boats to make them more functional?
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Joe Gluck

• 5 Star Member
  • Zürich, Switzerland 17 months and counting!
    • View Profile
Re: Customizing and Pimping your Boats...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 01:08:09 PM »
I have nice cedar plank canoe that I use (seldom, but I do use it) for fly fishing, but it needs to be refinished to get 'er old shine back.  I was thinking it would be cool to have some art at the bow in a First Nation motif, but I will have to see about that.

As for boats, in my limited opinion, extra storage space is always a plus.  Designated places for fly boxes, rods, and cans are always good.

Beyond that, I can't really think of much beyond aesthetics.  It would be cool to come up with some artwork and paint it, slap a few stickers on there.

Hope you enjoy your new boat!

Tie one up, bro!

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 08:14:33 PM »
This past weekend I found a little "free time" to start personalizing my new boat and to do a little customizing to suit my needs. At this point, I've nearly finished building the floors for my boat, and couldn't be happier with how they've turned out. The carpet floor boards will really make it a lot more comfortable and protect the fly line from the rivets, dirt and debris. The elevated floors also helps to keep your feet dry by draining rain and lake water into the space beneath the floor boards...

Here's a few photos that show the step by step process that I used for making mine:

Using cardboard to make a template ensures a perfect fit, and eliminates costly mistakes (always remember to measure twice and cut once!!).

Transfer (trace) the cardboard template's outline onto a sheet of 5/8" plywood, and cut with a skill saw that is angled to conform with the slope of the boat's side walls. Use a jig saw to cut the notches...

Test fitting the plywood ensures that it sits level and fits snug (leave an 1/8" gap on all sides to allow for the thickness of the carpet that will be folded and glued to the edges...

Measure the height from the floor and attach 2 strips of wood so the floor will be level and won't sag or move while the angler stands near the edge of the flooring...

Repeat this process for all of the panels and ensure that they are screwed together with non-corrosive outdoor-grade screws and that none of the points of the screws are exposed or can damage the surfaces of the boat...

Apply 2 coats of clear urethane to seal and protect the underside of the panel from water and moisture damage. Water-proofing the wood also helps to prevent it from absorbing water, which in turn helps to eliminate the water-logging effect that can increase the overall weight of the panels when they're exposed to rain or lake water.

It also helps to prevent the wood panels from warping, and allows your carpet to dry much faster, as the water is able to evaporate or wick off the surface, rather than soaking into the wood and remaining damp for an extended period of time. The water-proofing also reduces the chances of mold forming under the carpeting and on the plywood.

Apply 3 coats of clear urethane to the edges and top surfaces as well...

Trim the indoor/outdoor carpet (leave enough to tuck under and attach to underside of plywood). Apply contact cement (glue) to the underside of the carpet and top and edges of the plywood, and to the first 2 inches of the underside. Allow the glue to set for 15 minutes. Press firmly together notch the corners and fold the edges under the plywood panel. Staple the carpet to underside (use galvinized staples). Cut down the center of the notches with a utility knife and firmly press the carpet against the inside edges of the notches.

Let dry and insert panel for a final test fit, and then treat the carpeting with Scotch Guard Upholstery Protector to protect it from spills, stains and dirt...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 06:18:45 AM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Vance Whitley

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 09:07:10 PM »
Looks great Todd
Carpeted floors are so nice as they also keep things from getting wet when they are on the floor as water always seems to find a way into the boat.  ;)
All fishermen are liars except you and me,
and I'm not to sure about you... - unknown

Aaron Laing

• 5 Star Member
  • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 08:57:15 AM »
Nice Todd,

I ended up buying a 14' V-hull (bare bones) and I'll be watching here for some ideas.

One thing I did with my last boat was to install a conduit from the stern to the bow to run wiring for my battery so that I could put the battery up front and not trip over exposed wires. Here's what I did, but I'm sure you probably have your own ideas:

Have you found a cheap cover for your boat? I can't afford to plunk down $170 for the boat cover at crappy tire so I'm looking for alternatives. *** Edit: Apparently C-Tire has some cheaper versions (I guess sticker shock drew me away from further investigation)

Aaron
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 12:28:05 PM by Aaron Laing »
Randy Patton: "Did you get a picture? Did anyone see it? No? Then it never happened!"

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 09:49:27 PM »
Looking good Todd!  You managed to find some nice carpet too.  That type is my favourite.

One thing I did which I wouldn't do again was to put my front scotty anchor lock right where my bow grab handle is. Makes it more awkward to move around.  I would place it more on the starboard side, along with where the stern mount is.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 06:44:51 PM »
Here's a closer look at the finished product:

The next step in the project is the anchor system, storage compartments and padded thwart boards for loch-style fly fishing. More details and photos to come...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:41:55 PM by Todd Oishi »

Aaron Laing

• 5 Star Member
  • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 07:40:15 AM »
Where did you get your carpet Todd?

Aaron
Randy Patton: "Did you get a picture? Did anyone see it? No? Then it never happened!"

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 08:01:15 AM »
I did a bit of searching and finally and found the one that I used at Haney Builders Supplies (on Dewdney Trunk Road near 227th street).

I hope that you're enjoy your new boat and customizing project as much as I am enjoying mine! Have you and your kids been sitting in it in the driveway like my kids and I have been doing?   ;D

Will you be Christening it at the Hicks Lake's event?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 08:03:42 AM by Todd Oishi »

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 07:24:27 PM »
I drilled and cut the holes, and mounted a pair of Scotty flush mount anchor locks on my boat today. The flush mounting bracket is ideal when hauling the boat upside down on roof racks and under a boat cover...

The design of the Scotty anchor locks allows them to rotate and lock at a variety of angles...

The reversible, stainless steel bracket/plate reduces the amount of stress that put on the gunnels...

The roller bearing in the Scotty anchor lock's pulley makes dropping the anchor, and hoisting it back up, a much faster and easier process...

I set the anchor lochs on the starboard side so I can effortlessly adjust the positioning of the rope that's used to secure my drogue when I'm fishing loch-style...

The next step is the installation of the storage compartments and bilge pump system...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 07:42:46 PM by Todd Oishi »

Robert Ramsay

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 12:58:17 PM »
Boat looks awesome Todd !
I was thinking about a system similar for adjusting the drogue; is there any regs, rules etc that limit what you can do with a drogue system?
Nice flooring; did you keep your templates? :)
"A fisherman is always hopeful, nearly always more hopeful than he has any right to be" - Roderick Haig- Brown

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 08:36:47 AM »
Thanks Rob! There aren't any restrictions that I'm aware of. Sorry, but the templates were destroyed by my helpers (a mastiff and a miniature dachshund).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:38:46 AM by Todd Oishi »

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 01:13:34 PM »
Hope you got to christen it at Pennask!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 08:04:22 PM »
Just finished fitting my boat with a cover that I bought online from Cabelas. This boat cover provides protection from the elements and is ideal for storing miscellaneous items inside my boat. It's reinforced and built tough enough for trailering with it on the boat.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 06:36:18 AM by Todd Oishi »

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 11:57:19 AM »
Here's the next phase of my project...

Storage compartments:

1. Remove floor panels so aluminum filings and other debris won’t get caught in the carpet’s fibers.

2. Create or use a template to position and center hole to your liking. I've chosen to position the storage compartment on the port side (left side) of my boat, as this will allow me easy access to the storage compartment while fishing loch-style, and a great place for my storing fly boxes, wallet, cell phone, drinks and other items that I wish to keep off the floor of the boat:

3. Drill initial hole and enlarge it to allow access for tin snips:

4. Cut the hole with a pair of tin snips and file the edges smooth:

5. Chip and remove foam to form the storage compartment. A larger storage compartment under the seat would be great, but I didn't want to remove too much foam, which would reduce the boyancy of the boat in the event that it ever gets swamped (heaven forbid):

6. Vacuum the aluminum filings and any loose foam chips:

7. Test fit the outer rim and screw into place with plated or stainless screws:

8. Test the lid for a tight seal, and then reinstall your floor panels:

The finished product:

I'm currently working on the stripping baskets, which are based on a design that I've been using for the past 3 years, and will work in conjunction with the thwart boards that I've started to build for this boat.

The boat seats in the last photo are for recreational and competition use, as the back rest and swivel base can be removed in order to make the seat FIPS compliant. I can sit all day on the thick padded seat and never complain about a sore butt...

I'm contemplating installing a set of carpeted/wooden bench tops with an adjustable sliding mechanism for the seats, so I can attach my seats in a more permanent and stable fashion, which will also reduce the chance of scuffs and damage if my passengers step on the painted surfaces. It'll also make that surface far less slippery when wet...:

My next goal is to build a carpeted strorage compartment that will run the better half of the length of the starboard side of the boat. This compartment will allow me to keep my gear organized and keep my floor boards snag- and clutter-free.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:52:14 AM by Todd Oishi »