Author Topic: Manitoba Parklands Report  (Read 685 times)

Joel Wiebe

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Manitoba Parklands Report
« on: September 10, 2012, 08:23:01 PM »
Another year of university begins...so I start out on the right foot by skipping two days of classes and heading out West for a long weekend of fishing. My only apprehension was the water temps. Last year this time, the water was still ~70F and the fishing was terrible. Surprisingly the water was already down to 63F, amidst the heat we have had here in the prairies this summer.

Arrived Thursday afternoon, N wind ~20 km/h, and low water clarity.
Took some time to find fish, but lucked into a handful in a very weedy bay.

An aggressive retrieve was key into attracting the fish, but they would not bite until right at the boat. More often than not they would try to grab the fly as I pulled for the next cast. So I paired an aggressive retrieve with a short hang, and started hooking up. There were several occasions when I forgot to perform a hang and fish would come up for the fly and miss. The first two days over 70% of my fish were caught "on the hang."

Friday morning and still windy from N-NW, caught a beautiful 20" brown a gold matuka pattern I had whipped up the night before leaving. Again this fish was caught on the hang.

In the afternoon I changed my approach and started fishing damsels and boatmen. Lost some really hot fish. One took me into the reeds, the other rainbow made 3 amazing jumps
3 feet out of the water and on the 4th jump bust me off. Eventually landed some bows up to 22" and real chunky 19" brown.

Saturday, got a late start on Tokaryk. Got an 18" bow off the beaver hut, with the gold matuka. Gave up after 2 hours going sniffless, started trolling back and got a beautifully coloured brown.

Trolled around for a bit and caught another bow, and had a number of hits. Headed back to Patterson for the evening. Finally, got a calm evening and got a break from fighting the waves.

At one point I had come to shore to decide on my next tandem of flies, so I dropped my line into 2 ft of water while I searched through my box. I quickly lifted my flies out of the water and a bow rose up out of nowhere and splashed me in the face! Guess he was reminding me to "hang" my flies, even in the most unlikely spots.

I fished the North basin and landed a 22", 23" rainbow and a chaotic 20" brown. He fought just under the surface, making savage headshakes and churning up a lot of water.

I was happy with the results from the evening, made up for a slow day.

Sunday morning started calm, had a lot of hits, got a few and the wind started howling from the South. And that was it for me.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Manitoba Parklands Report
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 03:43:57 PM »
Great report and photos Joel. Thanks for posting and sharing it with us!

It is quite amazing when you stop to consider how effective the hang is, and how many people still don't utilize it to its fullest potential. It would make most anglers absolutely sick if they really knew exactly how many fish and opportunities they've missed by simply not pausing and working their flies during the hang...

Thanks again for taking the time to share your adventures with us!

Cheers,
Todd
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...