Author Topic: “Cool Runnings” - Comp #3 of the 2012/2013 West Coast Rivers Winter League  (Read 17695 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship

“Cool Runnings” - Competition #3 of the West Coast Rivers Winter League

Date: Sunday, January 13, 2013
Competition Water: Venue to be announced via email to the registered participants.

Registration opens on December 17th at 6:00pm. Please contact Todd Oishi after that time, to register by email:  info@innovativeflyfisher.com   Registration is limited to 16 competitors, based on a first come - first served basis, with 2 spots being reserved for members of the Youth Team. Additional applicants will be placed on a waiting list and moved onto list of participants in the event that there are any cancellations...

Details:
1. FIPS-Mouche Rules apply to this competition
2. Max # of Entrants: 16
3. 3 session of competition (2 hour sessions)
4. 4 competitors fishing in each of the 4 groups (Groups A, B, C, and D)
5. Competition beats have a no-fish-policy that will be in affect starting Monday, January 7th, 2013 at 8:00am. The rest of the river will remain open for practice.
6. One venue (river) with 4 beats
7. Beats will be divided in half (lengthwise) with 2 competitors assigned to each half of the beat
8. One competitor fishes at a time in each half of the beat, while the other competitor serves as their controller
9. Competitor and controller switch roles at 15 minute intervals for the duration of the session
10. Competitors rotate half beats after one hour and switch the order in which they fish and control
11. Competitors rotate partners within their group after each session
12. Competitor rotation assures that everyone will fish with a different partner during each session
13. Groups relocate to their next beat  at the end of each session (30 minutes to relocate and prepare for the next session)
14. Each group will fish three different beats at some point during the competition
15. Eligible fish species: Rainbow Trout, Cutthroat Trout, Bull Trout, Dolly Varden, White Fish and Northern Pike Minnow
16. Fish must be handled with extreme care and measured in the water and quickly released
17. The Organizer will provide the measuring devices
18. Competitors are responsible for proividing their own food and drinks
19. Fish point system :
          •   15cm to 25cm (6 to 10 inches) = 1 fish point
          •   Over 25cm (10 inches and over) = 2 fish points

Registration for this competition is now open (the list of registered participants will be updated periodically). Registration is limited to 16 competitors, with additional registrants being placed on the waiting list. Please email Todd Oishi at toishis@uniserve.com to register or have your name added to the waiting list.

List of Participants:

1. Istvan File          (Team Hungary Member)
2. Agnes Fritz
3. Todd Oishi         
4. Randy Patton
5. Max Cohen         (Canadian Youth Team Member)
6. Chris Puchniak
7. Mike Oishi
8. Jason Gemperle (Canadian Youth Team Member)
9. Aaron Laing
10. Jordan Viveiros (Canadian Youth Team Member)
11. Jose Viveiros
12. Randy Paskall
13. Russ Miller         (Team USA Member)
14. Paul Davidson
15. John Wilkinson
16. Kevin Cucheron

Official Waiting List:
Vance Whitley

Please note that the first 2 competitors that have registered on the waiting list, but weren't able to qualify for a spot at this competition will automatically qualify for a spot in the next competition. If one (or both) of these competitors are unable to attend the next competition their spot will be given to the person(s) in line on the waiting list.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:28:56 PM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Kevin Cucheron

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • BCCFFL Organizer
    • View Profile
Hi Todd,
Count me in please but not at the expense of a youth angler.
Thanks
Team Kingfisher member

If someone says you fish too much, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Kevin Cucheron

• 5 Star Member
  • BCCFFL Organizer
    • View Profile
Oops jumped the gun a bit. Should have read the notice more thoroughly. :-[
Team Kingfisher member

If someone says you fish too much, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
No worries Kevin, but I must say that I love your enthusiasm!! ;D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:11:40 PM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
I'll have to mark that date on my calander.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Vance Whitley

• 5 Star Member
  • Coquitlam BC Canada
    • View Profile
Sign me up plz
If any one is interested in free swimming lessons on the river plz just pm me and I will sign u up.  ::)
All fishermen are liars except you and me,
and I'm not to sure about you... - unknown

Max Cohen

• 5 Star Member
  • lets chuck some feathers and see what takes
    • View Profile
u can sing me up
The tug is the drug

Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish.  ~Roderick Haig-Brown

I should really give this up, wrapping bits of fluff around a hook for fun just can't be normal!!

Max Cohen

• 5 Star Member
  • lets chuck some feathers and see what takes
    • View Profile
vance i dotn even think its safe for u to be in more that 1 foot of water  ;D
The tug is the drug

Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish.  ~Roderick Haig-Brown

I should really give this up, wrapping bits of fluff around a hook for fun just can't be normal!!

Vance Whitley

• 5 Star Member
  • Coquitlam BC Canada
    • View Profile
i was relying on my controller on the beach to keep me safe but he was umhum busy at that moment >:( max are signing up for the fish comp or the swiming lessons ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:10:31 AM by Vance Whitley »

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Here are a few rules that all of the competitors should be aware of for this all of the West Coast Rivers Winter League's competitions:

* It is the responsibility of each competitor to take all appropriate safety measures, including providing and wearing their own eye protection and life preserving equipment (PFD).

* Competitors are allowed to carry as many assembled fly rods as they can manage during a river competition session, but may only fish with one at a time.

* Landing nets must not exceed forty-eight inches in overall length when fully extended, and possess a soft cotton or rubberized coatied mesh (knotted nylon netting is prohibited).

* A competitor may only cast and fish their flies within the marked boundaries of his beat, and must remain within the boundaries of their beat during their session.

* If a hooked fish swims outside of their beat, the competitor must play and land the fish from inside their own beat.

* If a competitor wishes a fish to score, they must land it in a net and pass the fish in the net to the controller for measurement and recording.

* For measuring purposes, the length will be from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail.

* Only fish hooked in the mouth area, i.e. in front of the rear edge of the gill cover, will be eligible.

* In the event of the loss of a fish by a controller before measurement, the competitor will be awarded the average of the points for all valid fish taken in that sector in that session.

* Neither sinking nor floating devices (no splitshot or strike indicators) may be added to fly lines or leaders.

* Leaders may be knotted or knotless, and continuously tapered down or level. A single loop may only be used to connect a leader to a fly line.

* Weighted flies are permitted, provided the weight is hidden within the dressing.

* A single bead, not more than 4 mm (5/32") in its maximum dimension, is permitted, and may be left exposed.

* All flies must be dressed on hooks which are either manufactured barbless or debarbed.

* The practice of pumping the stomach or throat of fish is not permitted during official practice or competition sessions.

* Coiled sighters are permitted, but please keep in kind that the leader must be tapering or level in diameter, so the coils can't be thicker in diameter than the leader material between it and the fly line.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 11:27:59 AM by Todd Oishi »

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Update for December 6, 2012:

Due to popular request, an additional beat is being added for this competition, which will create room for 4 more competitors. The inclusion of a 4th beat will allow us to increase the maximum number of participants/competitors to 16.

The newest beat will be announced after a thorough evaluation and assessment has been performed in order to identify if it will be suitable and somewhat representative and/or equal to the other 3 beats...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 11:58:46 AM by Todd Oishi »

Aaron Laing

• 5 Star Member
  • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
I thought I read that we couldn't officially register until the 17th? You've already received that much interest?

Aaron
Randy Patton: "Did you get a picture? Did anyone see it? No? Then it never happened!"

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
I'm getting a lot of emails and some phone calls, to which I've been responding with a standard reply that I'm not accepting registration until 6:00pm on December 17th. This combined with the fact that the League has a current total of 23 registered members , emphasizes the need for providing more space for League members to be able to attend and participate in these competitions.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:39:27 PM by Todd Oishi »

Vance Whitley

• 5 Star Member
  • Coquitlam BC Canada
    • View Profile
YUP
a few guys r a little to excited to sign up. bet we r also the type to not read instruction manuals ::)

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Reminder to all that you have to email Todd at:

info@innovativeflyfisher.com

At 6pm tonite to be registered in the event.

Cheers!

I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.