Author Topic: Blind Luck  (Read 1523 times)

Aaron Laing

• 5 Star Member
  • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
Blind Luck
« on: December 14, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »
I guess it helps to be born in the year of the Rabbit...

So I decide to take a little break from work yesterday afternoon and test out a few new flies I've tied (no luck in this respect, water was high and dirty).

Before I leave I go rooting around for my camera and I just can't find the damn thing. "It's probably in the car," I say to myself, but when I check there nada. At this point I'm beginning to think I may have lost it. The last time I used it was at the river on Sunday and I remember putting it back in my shoulder bag, but it obviously wasn't there.

Anyway. I go to one of my usual spots, fish for a bit and then change to a second location. As I'm picking my way through the blackberry bushes, I bend down to crawl underneath an overhead vine and low and behold I see my camera--it's strap caught and wrapped around a blackberry vine entangled in the thorns. I figure the strap must have been hanging out of my bag on my last outing and got caught on the vine as I crawled under it. It works and is no worse the wear for a week in the rain.

While no fish were caught the trip was a huge success! It pays to be lucky.

Aaron
Randy Patton: "Did you get a picture? Did anyone see it? No? Then it never happened!"

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: Blind Luck
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 08:18:23 AM »
That's hilairous Aaron!

Let's hope that extends to fishing on Sunday - I'll take any of the extra luck and mojo I can get ANY day!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 08:44:16 AM »
You're truly a lucky man! Just hope some of your luck will rub off onto the rest of the group on Sunday morning!!
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Aaron Laing

• 5 Star Member
  • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 09:44:51 AM »
I hope it augurs well for the comp--but it would have been better if I had managed a fish or two for my efforts. Let's hope the weather holds--that would be the best luck of all for all.

Aaron
Randy Patton: "Did you get a picture? Did anyone see it? No? Then it never happened!"

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 09:53:19 AM »
That's a great story by the way Aaron! I've lost a few things in my travels, but have never been quite that lucky... :)
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Joe Gluck

• 5 Star Member
  • Zürich, Switzerland 17 months and counting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 08:02:50 PM »
Trout gods be praised!
Tie one up, bro!