Author Topic: Peace River in Winter  (Read 1149 times)

Alastair Grogan

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Peace River in Winter
« on: March 18, 2012, 08:29:06 AM »
I'm going to have the opportunity to fish the Peace River below Hudson's Hope over the next couple of weeks.  Last fall the whitefish were in the slow water and the Grayling in the fast.  Is that pattern likely to change now that it's cold?  Today we've got 6 inches of new snow, it's sunny and -9C with a predicted high of -5C.  I'm gonna go do some shopping and fish once it warms up a little bit more.

Report to follow.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:30:37 AM by Alastair Grogan »

Kerry Pitt

• 3 Star Member
  • Beaumont, Alberta
    • View Profile
    • Project Healing Waters Canada
Re: Peace River in Winter
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 01:17:12 PM »
 Some of it will depend on the water flow through the dam. I like below the waterfall down below the townsite. At times the whole stretch from the float up to the waterfall is good. I have taken Grayling and Dollies up by the rocks there. Just down from the float there is a steady ground seepage that runs into the river and it is quite often a good place to pick up a rainbow or two. Good luck!
Don't try to be a great man, just be a man.
( Ephram Cochrane )

Alastair Grogan

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 06:52:19 PM »
Kerry, the road down to the river at the spot you mentioned is snowed in and with the wind blowing hard I figured there would be easier (read spots with ready access to a heated vehicle) spots to access.  I fished that spot regularly last year honing my short line nymphing technique on the always plentiful whitefish.  Anyway, I headed downstream to the next easy access point (in Winter) and fished only for a half hour.  The Sage ESN 2-wt really does cast beautifully, even in the wind.  Tried short line nymphing and even swung a wet a couple of times before calling it a day, with no luck.  It's supposed to warm up again next weekend, so I'll head out again then.

Kerry Pitt

• 3 Star Member
  • Beaumont, Alberta
    • View Profile
    • Project Healing Waters Canada
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:16:27 PM »
Have you tried access at Lynx Creek? If you can get above it the fishing can be pretty good. The road down to the pump house might be clear? Just on the downstream side there is a deep hole with a huge boulder in it, big Dollies from time to time, then up from there on those weird rocks I have caught A FEW gRAYLING. I keep forgetting you have snow there. I was just down on the Crowsnest, no snow at all. Good luck up there! :)
Don't try to be a great man, just be a man.
( Ephram Cochrane )

Alastair Grogan

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 02:05:07 PM »
Lynx Creek was where I was fishing, but right at the access.  I think I know the spot you're talking about, but we've had about a foot of snow in the last few days so the access road is out for me and my vehicle.  It's not too far upstream from Lynx Creek (about 400 m if its the spot I'm thinking about).  I did well there last year with lots of whitefish and a few grayling.  The weather is supposed to improve by Sunday so I'll be trying again then.