Author Topic: Poll: What Rods are You Using for European Nymphing?  (Read 21155 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Poll: What Rods are You Using for European Nymphing?
« on: February 28, 2013, 10:41:13 AM »

I'm curious as to which fly rods everyone is currently using, or have been using, for the various European nymphing techniques, and your thoughts or reviews on them.

Please post the name of the fly rod that you're using, and if it's a rod that is specifically manufactured and marketed as being a nymphing rod, I'll add it to the poll. Please remember that you can only cast one vote, and members must be logged-in in order to view and cast a vote. You can change your vote if you eventually see your rod added to the list of rods in the poll...

I'm currently using Sage's 10 foot, 3-weight ESN fly rod and recently acquired a 2-weight ESN that I'm dying to test out. I also have a a 9'-10", 2-weight, "Frankenstein rod" that I've been using for the past 7 years (currently used as my "go to rod" for competition angling), which basically consists of a medium-fast action 3-weight butt section with a soft and sensitive, medium-fast action, 2-weight, upper section.

Update... I really like the 2-weight ESN, and prefer it over my 3-weight for my style of nymphing, and better suits the weight of nymphs and nymphing rig that I'm currently using...

So how about the rest of you? What are you using for lobbing your nymphs these days?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 08:20:32 AM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Janos Boda

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: What rods are You and have you been using for European Nymphing?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 12:54:37 PM »
Todd,

I am just wondering do you use these light outfits (2 and 3-weight rods) to match the fish size or you are using them on all rivers even on bigger ones? As I did very little river fishing, I am guessing probably a 6-weight is too heavy at most of the time, however I was hoping it would be OK on the Bow. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Janos

Peter Huyghebaert

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 01:06:01 PM »
   Have been practicing with two outfits the last few weeks (the fish haven't noticed). The first one is the same as yours Todd, 10' 3wt ESN, with a WF3F RIO Light Touch line.  The second, for when I might want to be flinging some dries as well, is a 10' 4wt Z-Axis - quite a bit more backbone so a bit heavier line, the Cortland 160g Competition Nymph.

Also have been experimenting with various level and tapered leaders incorporating a home-made sighter that works quite well.  I've been using Spiderwire EZ Mono (fluorescent blue) in 14/12/10 lb with 8" near the tip with 9 small beads of Loon Hard Head Orange (fluorescent), so only one tippit ring at the business end. A level leader of 10lb (.030mm) works great normally, but when using  lighter fies I add in a long section of 14, then 12 and tie the 10lb to it - turns over fairly well and also does a bit better in the wind. The 12lb works best all round, and should do much better with three flies.

Now, if the cutts are the local river(s) after this rain - I'm ready to roll.
I Fish - therefore I am!

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 01:11:10 PM »
That's a good topic of discussion.  River nymphing is a very technical style, with leader set up and rods playing a strong role. 

My arsenal is 'similar' to yours I think.

I have my 52-special which is still my favourite rod for this, but it is custom and hard to recommend to others.  It is also hard to repalce if something happens to it.  But it blends a really soft tip with a pretty strong backbone that is tough to find elsewhere.  It's nearly 11', which makes it great in some situations (big open rivers), but a little cumbersome in very small stream applications.  It's also a little heavier than others to use all day - but it still works for me and is my main rod.

I have used the Shadow PE (Pete Erickson) 10'6" 3 wt as well, which is a really strong rod, but also is not everyone's taste.  I have found it a very accurate rod to fish a long leader with.  It is certainly a stiffer rod (faster action) than the softer action I am more accustomed to in nymphing, but it still works well for me.  Unfortunately now discontinued by Echo, but still a good choice to pick up on the used market as it was well priced.

I now have a Sage ESN 2100-4 that I am starting to practise with, which is shorter in length than what I have used previously.   But I have found so far that it and I have adapted well to each other.   :)  I don't have enough stream time to rate it yet, but I have plenty of backyard grass time with it.  So far I cannot say a bad thing against it.  After trying a few ESN 3wts though, based on my casting style, I am glad I got the 2 wt (but then again, I didn't have a serious issue with the 3wts...).
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • Wiley Coyote should have tried a fly rod!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 03:49:21 PM »
I am rocking the Loomis IMX 10' 3 wt. This stick is as light as I'll ever go weight wise and it's pretty beefy for what it is being a 3wt.
The only druthers I have regarding this rod is it's a 2 piece instead of a 4, but for what I 'paid' for it vs what it's worth I suffer. ;)
Sorry, but you weren't catching that fish anyway.....

Aaron Laing

• 5 Star Member
  • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 06:29:10 AM »
That's a great rod, Randy. I loved it when I used it at the Nationals In Fernie in 2009.

My current rod for Eurostyle nymphing is the Greys Streamflex 10' 3wt. It's an all rounder kind of rod that doesn't excell in any particular style of nymphing, but covers them all adequately. It has less butt strength than say the Shadow, but is better in applications where feel is a consideration. It lobs nymphs with the best of them, but lacks the pinpoint accuracy of the ESN. Because I want a rod that "does it all" (including wet and dry) at a reasonable price, this is the rod I go with (in fact I own 2).

Once I have had a chance to give the ESN a test spin I may make the step up, but for the present the Greys works for me.

Aaron
Randy Patton: "Did you get a picture? Did anyone see it? No? Then it never happened!"

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • Wiley Coyote should have tried a fly rod!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 06:57:53 AM »
Aaron give some thought to the High Stick Drifter by St. Croix - I demoed this rod over a 3 month period and found is more than servicable. Nice looker too:

It is however a 4 wt but very balanced and tossed line quite well. I also landed about a 6 or 7lb coho on it, so plenty of backbone as well.
If I was rodless in the nymphing area I'd sure get one.  :)
Sorry, but you weren't catching that fish anyway.....

John Wilkinson

• 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 12:46:15 PM »
Well I don't ride Harley's like you guys but I roll with a 9' 5wt echo rod and I guess it does the job :-[. One day when my nymphing skills improve I will step up in horsepower ;)
When you see the fat guy on the moped give me a wave 8)

Buck
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 08:06:04 AM »
Bumped to update this thread with a poll. There are also a lot of new rods on the market since the date when I originally posted this thread...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:25:22 AM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

John Wilkinson

• 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: What Rods are You Using for European Nymphing?
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 07:36:17 AM »
Well a year later and I finally got my Echo Shadow2 10' 3wt! So far so good. Of course having the extra foot really helps in the nymphing part of the game. The rod tip is very soft for those smaller fish and the butt has some beef to play in the bigger ones.
Yesterday on Leighton the ice was just starting to come off and there was open water around the campsite so I decided to put on the floating line wih an indicator and a small green micro leetch and cast from shore. WOW! I was throwing out line even with wind to my side no problem. I hooked into two nice fish and the rod performed really nice.
This gives me confidence to hook and play some good size fish in the flows and also keep on those small ones too!!

Johnnylucksack
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 08:29:55 AM »
this is simply a soliloquio!

when it comes to nymphing I wonder the difference between a 2wt and 3wt of a nymph rod could be!  The rod is 10' or longer so why not a 3wt rather than a 2wt rod?  In deep european nymphing, two elements must be present:  the depth and the current. Consequently  the nymphs must  sink to the bottom where there is more often chance of hooking a large trout, or in this side of Atlantic a garyling. I have no doubt that the able angler can land the 2 Kg graying or trout with a some difficulty. The fish has to be played and chances are that the larger fish will not make.
Wouldn't a 3 Wt rod do the same job?

"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 09:12:33 AM »
I find i get used to both size rods when fishing, but after holding the 2 wt the 3 wt feels almost like a hockey stick   .  But neither of sizes in the nymph rods feels like a typical 2 or 3 wt. In addition to my nymph rods, I also have 2 and 3 wt rods that I use for dries (like my TFO finesse series), and the two sets of rods don't feel anythin alike.  I would be hesitant to fight a 5 pound fish on my 2 wt TFO but not with ny ESN.

That being said i will step up to my 3 wt if I am fishing a spot where I expect a good 25% of my fish to be over 15 inches.

But by far I do like the feel of the 2 wt over the 3 wt. If I fished bigger waters though I might grow into the 3wt more.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 11:28:35 AM »
I don't have anything in my repertoire under 3 wt.  I have may favorite 389 LL that I use for dries, and alternatively fish it with 3 or 4 line depending of situation.  I hardly catch anything bigger than 1.5 lb so its fine.   
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

Janos Boda

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 06:53:47 PM »
I am just wondering on the other category ones, what rod are those. I use 3-weight TFO BVK, some people said that it is as good as the Sage ESN. As I did not fish the ESN I cannot say it is true or not :). Also, those who fish the ESN and I ask them, they never fished the TFO BVK.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 06:56:10 PM by Janos Boda »

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 06:14:27 AM »
Janos,

I believe that the rods in the "other" category consist of a variety of rods that aren't specifically designed or marketed for Euro nymphing. A lot of fly fishers tend to use whatever rods they have at their disposal when first learning this style of fishing, rather than purchasing rods that are marketed and specifically designed for these techniques.

I've added your BVK rod to the poll list, as it is marketed as a Czech nymphing rod IF the conversion kit (a 2 foot extension) is used in conjunction with their 8 foot, 3-weight model. Rods without the conversion kit would fall under the other category.

You can change your vote if you're using the conversion kit...