Author Topic: White Lake  (Read 1248 times)

Neville (Nev) Gosling

• 4 Star Member
    • View Profile
White Lake
« on: March 20, 2012, 10:48:10 AM »
I have never fished White Lake but I would like to do so. I understand that it is very clear and quite deep. I would appreciate  ant suggestions, pointers etc regarding methods and flies.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: White Lake
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:48:07 PM »
I don't think it is any secret that White Lake is one of our first 'good' lakes to open up in BC's interior.  Being around 1400 feet in elevation, it warms up much faster and is usually open in March.  It's not as great as it was in the 80's, but it is still a fun lake.

As I think you know, it's had it's problems with waterskiers, but that won't be an issue this early methinks!

It does have a closed to fishing zone at the east end, where Cedar Cr flows in.  I believe it is a 400m buffer.

When I've fished there in the past, especially early spring, I've usually tried to focus near the east end without violating any no-fishing zone.  The water there in early spring can sometimes be warmer.  The buffer zone SHOULD keep anyone away from getting near the spawning trout, which is crucial to do.

Huge shoals on the lake too, and I've always done well there.  I think that lake has one of the biggest shoals around.

Not sure if that helps much, but good luck if you go!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Marc Bilan

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 10:45:25 PM »
I fish this lake for a couple of weekends each year.  Once early spring shortly after turnover, and another time in the summer when the water skiers are out.  They only come out once it really gets hot and nobody is fishing then anyways(except me and theres lots of room for everyone).  Not a big deal. 

In the spring, go where you see boats.  If White Lake is known for something it's that it's a great chironimid lake.  A few good ones are the classic Black and red, and gunmetal chromies in a variety of rib colors.  Because the lake is so clear, they seem to shy away from white beads.  Not always, but enough that I rarely fish white beads on this lake.  Also, try fishing chronies deep on a sinking line in 40-60ft of water.   It works.

John Wilkinson

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 06:27:16 PM »
Are you fishing that deep in April or later on when it starts to warm up? I have never fished White lake but heard that early on you can fish chronies at 20' on the edge of the shoals?

John
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Marc Bilan

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 10:33:44 PM »
Primarily I'm fishing between 20-40ft.  If the fish are cruising the shoals like they do in May, then you can fish shallow.  Treat it just like any other lake, but expect that when you see chronies coming off in 50ft of water that that is were the fish will be.  49ft down.

John Wilkinson

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 07:29:32 PM »
Thanks Marc! I will have to try that lake in the near future.

TFW
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 08:33:16 PM »
Sounds like White came off the ice about 5 or 6 days ago...
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.