Author Topic: Fishing Stories!  (Read 2483 times)

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Fishing Stories!
« on: April 27, 2013, 03:54:49 AM »
in June 2009 I was fly fishing in Canton Valais, Switzerland.  I purchased the permit in Sierre, and drove north to fish the Fully Canal.  The canal a was a of sort of a chalk stream.   No surface activity but I could see  trout and graying here and there. After walking the canal for about 15 minutes, I crossed over a small dam and started fishing the tail water where i noticed the trout was rising.  I was very surprised that almost every presentation was a take! I had never came across anything like this in my entire  life.

After about one hour, I was nauseated and decided to quit.   As I was climbing up I saw two cantonal police offices! They  told me I was fishing in a nursery reserve and my act was bordering  felony.  What actually divided the reserve from the Fully Canal was a 10 ft wide bridge  where there was supposed to be a sign post.   However,  we could not find the sign board because  was covered by the vegetation.   

All the same they took my gears away and give a very large fine. I had to hire a solicitor and two weeks later  appear before a judge together. The judge was  very apologetic  but he did not canceled the fine because the ignorance of the law is no excuse.  He returned to me my gear.  This is one of the most expensive fishing expedition I have undertaken.

If you have such experience lets hear it!

"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: Fishing Stories!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 11:21:02 AM »
Oh boy Alex!  I can understand how at first that was amazing but then suddenly turned into quite teh opposite - losing all your gear and being told you're fishing illegal!  From a high to a low!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Joe Gluck

• 5 Star Member
  • Zürich, Switzerland 17 months and counting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 06:49:27 AM »
As much as I enjoy living in Switzerland, it sucks for fly fishing! 
Tie one up, bro!

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 08:28:11 AM »
How so Joe? Regulations or angling opportunities?
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 09:21:10 AM »

I don't go to CH to fly fish but I spend summer vacations in Canton du Valais and while there I fly fish.  Several years ago by chance I discovered a stream at above 2000 meters elevation in Val d'Annivers. I get a permit and fly fish it several times in July and August. Trout go between 20 to 30 cm, and the beat is about 4 miles long, it ends at the foot of the Zinal glacier. Breath taking place to visit.   Another place I like to fly fish is between Simplon-Dorf and Gondo in late August and September.  Again these are not what you call trout waters, but they suits me fine, I like to pockets fish.
Walt Whitman

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 10:42:43 AM »
The 2000 foot elevation stream really intrigues me, and sounds like an incredible place to cast a fly Alex! I'd love to see any photos that you'd be willing to share (without giving away your secret spots).

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 02:10:42 PM »
Tod, the road from Sierre in the valley to Grimentz is a narrow road, it is hard upward drive and takes me 1.5 hours to drive it.  Maybe this is one reason people don't have to go that far to fish!   Below the glacier there is Dam (Barrage de Moiry) and the torrent starts below it.
Walt Whitman